Chapter 19: Long history

It has been a month since I started receiving calls from a certain someone. It's not only frustrating and annoying but I can't help and be scared of what he might be planning.

Ishan suspects something but I tell him off everytime I get a call. I don't see it fit to tell him just yet.

but it's not the phone calls that have been my main concern. My dad's health is deteriorating day by day. The doctor said it's just a matter of a few days.

I've prepared myself for what's about to come. It's inevitable and I can't do anything to stop it even if i tried.

It's better to spend time with him rather than worry about how to save him.

I packed my bags with a few essentials. I have decided to stay with my father for the rest of his days.
Tears stung my eyes whenever I thought of it but I'm strong enough to handle anything that's thrown my way.

"Will you be staying with me?" I asked Ishan as he took the bag from me and we went downstairs to keep it in the car.

"I wish I could" He said.

He has a meeting coming up in Bangalore and he needs to be there. He told me about it a week ago but a part of me still wishes that he'd stay with me.

And I know he would if I just say it. But I don't want him to cancel his important meetings. He'll just be a phone call away.

My jaw was left hanging when he casually mentioned that he has a private jet. Not just one, 2. And he might as well buy another one.

It came up when he said he's just 'a phone call away' to which I said the airline won't work according to his schedule. Well, I guess I should've known.

Everyone hugged me and kissed my forehead as I bid them goodbye for a few days. The next time we meet would be at a funeral. My dads funeral.

We got in the car and Ishan drove away from the house.

I remember my moms funeral. I didn't get out of my room at all. People thought I was too shocked or something but with what had happened, I didn't think my mother would've wanted me to be with her on her last 'journey'

"What's on your mind?" Ishan asked. I realised I've been staring at just one object for far too long.

I shook my head slowly "Not much."

"I'll be there with you" He didn't need to mention what he was talking about "Through every part of it"

I smiled at him and kept my hand over his. He turned our hands and laced his fingers through mine.

"I-i told myself to be strong" I confessed to him, no longer able to keep it to myself "But I don't think I can watch him die day by day."

He raised our hands and kissed my knuckles "I know it's hard. But we've tried every treatment we could. I wish I could do something about it"

"Me too" I looked out of the window "I'll need you with me"

I saw him look at me before releasing my hand and calling someone. I heard him say 'cancel the meeting' and I protested but he silenced me with just a finger.

It's no use fighting him. He'll just do what he wishes.

"What is wrong with you?" I said, my voice a little louder "I-i-It's my fault. I shouldn't have said what I said because you took it—"

"I'm not doing it just for you" He said, interfering in between "Yes, you're a major part of it but he's my teacher. He knows more about me than my own damn parents who just got me to do something I wasn't interested in"

I frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"What do you think?!" He snapped "I'm sorry, I'm sorry I didn't mean it to come out like that" He instantly apologised.

I crossed my arms as I waited for him to explain further. It's going to take a while, he might as well just tell me whatever it is. He just simply sighed.

"I wanted to be a photographer" He said "I wanted to travel the world, take pictures of the celestial events, the northern lights, moon, everything. But when I told this to my parents they were against it. They said I'm the only heir and who would be the next in line if not me. I begged them, to give me just one chance, but they refused."

I didn't interrupt him as he continued.

"I know they're nice people. But they couldn't understand my dreams. I blamed it on generation gap but I tried to understand their demands with me. I fulfilled them, I am still doing it. But they never realised how they crushed my dreams with a single no. I don't blame them, though. My dad couldn't have given our business to sone outsider. It is 'Singhania Industries' after all."

"So I gave my post graduation exams. To do MBA. I got qualified, cracked the written exam and the personal interview in just the first attempt. My parents were overjoyed but I know the sleepless nights I spent in the hostel. Clicking pictures of the sky day and night. Your dad noticed it and he did not just praise it, he even contacted a few people. I did a few internships because of him. But that happiness, too, was short lived when my parents found out. Professor Kapoor told them it's just to help with my CV but he understood my dreams, Kaira. He embraced them like they were his own and I just—i don't know. Maybe that's why i couldn't say no when he approached me about getting married to you"

Approached him? Didn't he tell me that his mother approached my father?

I decided to keep this for later and focus on the big piece of information he just shared with me.

"I'm sorry" Was all I could say. I didn't know what else was the right thing to say.

My dad wasn't thrilled about the idea of me being a painter but he never said anything against it directly to me. He understood dreams.

"I used to be so jealous of you" I told him, sharing a thought for a thought  "I know you guys were close. He used to come home and tell stories about you. He never mentioned photography, just passion. He said you were good at it and your academics. While I failed maths, you used to be the top scorer. I gave CAT too just to get to know who this Ishan Singhania is" He laughed a little and it made me smile.

"Of course I couldn't even crack the written one but you get it"

He stopped right in front of my house. He caught me off guard when he kissed me. He smiled into the kiss as he said "I absolutely do"

I nudged him with my elbow and we got out of the car. My sister stood at the entrance. a stern expression on her face.

Her eyes fell on Ishan but her expression didn't falter.
I haven't told Ishan a thing about my family. It made me feel guilty. but to tell one thing is to tell all the things.

They're all connected.

Just then, another figure appeared behind Kritika. I stopped in my tracks as he gave me a wicked grin.

Kunal Sinha.

He was a tall, lean man. He looked right about his age, 32. He was wearing a suit. Just the sight of him made me want to throw up.

He gave me a curt nod as if there's a secret between us. He proceeded to walk towards us.

"Mr Singhania!" He said and extended his hand towards Ishan "Kunal Sinha"

Ishan didn't seem like the Ishan I knew. Instead, it was The Ishan Singhania with his straight posture, neutral expression and emotionless eyes.

"Nice to meet you Mr Sinha" Ishan said "How do you know the kapoors"

Kunal's eyes fell on me as he winked "Let's just say we have a long history"