Chapter 2

January 4th, 1987

I sat at my lunch table, picking at my food with a fork. Alice sits beside me as she lays her head on my shoulder. "God, they never serve us good stuff here." She groans, annoyed. I couldn't agree more. It's always either stiff, bad, or just smells too bad to be consumed. Quite odd, our school has the funds to afford good meals.

"You guys are a bunch of cry babies. It really isn't that bad." Xavier shrugs as he eats away at the stiffest pasta noodles known to mankind. Alice and I scrunch our faces in disgust as we look at him. Feasting.

"Dude, it really is that bad. You're just always starving because you overdo it all the time in PE." Dante retorts, holding Alice's hand tightly on top of the table. He plays with her fingers as he talks, absentmindedly.

How cute.

"My parents are investing a lot into this place, they force me to overdo it all the time whenever they film the supposed sports and activities we have. My ribs have been aching for weeks with this nonstop recording. I fucking hate sports." Xavier grimaces, he rubs his ribcage through his uniform cautiously. His hand shakes slightly but it goes unnoticed.

I see it though.

We all fall quiet when a teacher passes by. It's a Habit. An unspoken rule between us.

We all have been here since we were about 14 to 16 years old. Now everyone except me is eighteen. I will finally turn eighteen in about a month. I've been here the longest out of everyone in my friend group.

Savior Academy was hell since the beginning, I won't sugarcoat it, I can't. We were all here for the wrong reasons, we were all here to get shaped up into being good kids. Our files spill lies when we're all teens just trying to survive.

We have to be secretive, it's the only way here. Not like it goes far, because we're constantly being watched. Every move is calculated, precise.

We are shut out from the outside world. We're enclosed in a huge acre plot of land, bought off and owned by the school. We're enclosed by huge fences so tall it's impossible to believe you'll ever get over. Not to mention how far from society we are.

There are security systems set up around. The only way out is the only way in. The huge gates. The gates that only ever open when a new victim gets enrolled. Patrolled by security guards all around. It's hell if you ever think you could make it past them.

Or over them, if you attempted it.

You either end up like Margot Wallace or Ace Mayfield. Margot tried two years ago to make her desperate escape right through the gates, guards and all. It's that broken mentality from being stir crazy after years of being stuck in this place, that gets you thinking-no, believing,That you could do anything.

The guards grabbed her forcefully and brought her right to his office. She screamed, kicked, and wailed. But it was six to one. She had no chance.

That was two years ago, I haven't seen her since.

Ace actually made it out, he managed to climb through our fences, summer of 1985 when our fences weren't as high and competing with Mount Everest.

Word got out and he was being tracked because he forgot to leave behind whatever it was tracking him. We each get a Savior academy necklace, the pendant is of an anatomy heart. We also get a phone assigned to us. I heard that each one specifically does something, audio tracking and location tracking. I can't differentiate the two.

My friends and I usually don't wear our necklaces to lunch or keep our phones around, leaving it in our lockers just for conversations like this.

Our phones are given to us by the school. Only thing we can do with them is message only other students, take notes, take photos. Main reason they hand them to us is because they watch every little thing. Anything you say, is being documented.