Chaper 1

The piercing beep-beep-beep of my alarm clock resonated through my ears, alerting me to the fact that it was already 6:00 a.m.

I sprang out of bed with a start and hastened towards the shower. After a refreshing rinse, I meticulously combed my hair, packed my bag with all the essentials I would need, and, of course, grabbed my current literary companion - the book I was engrossed in reading.

As I locked the door, I couldn't help but notice my room was in disarray.
I thought to myself, "Once I return, I'll tidy up like a responsible lady..." But my train of thought was interrupted by Payal's stern voice in my head, "Can't you wake up early for once, Bitch? "
"Urgh" I sighed in frustration.
"I apologize, Payal; I slept late yesterday, making it challenging for me to wake up at 5. " I said, gazing at her tired face with remorse, and, as usual, I managed to manipulate her once again.

Payal, my closest friend, was four months my senior and shared the same academic year and section as me.
When I relocated to Dehradun for advanced studies after completing my secondary education, the apprehension of being alone was vanished since her family resided in the same building as mine, and she was there to accompany me.

"Thanks to your generosity, we're running behind schedule, so taking the bus is no longer a viable option.

I'll ask my mom to give us a ride to school," she exclaimed.
I offered a cautious smile in response.

"Hey, Mom, actually, Rhea overslept due to lack of rest, so we're running late. Could you please drop us at school?" She appealed to her mom, who arrived within ten minutes.

Mrs. Joshi glanced at us and gestured kindly, indicating for us to get into the car.

"My apologies, Mrs. Joshi, I was a bit anxious about today at the new school and it kept me awake yesterday," I explained.

"It's perfectly fine, Rhea; I know the recent move to your new apartment must have caused you a lot of stress, so don't worry," she reassured me with her soothing smile.

"Anyway, I think Payal forgot to mention how often I drive her to school because she was too engrossed in her midnight chat," Mrs. Joshi said with a playful tease, directing it at Payal.

I let out a soft, gentle laugh!

I forgot to even call Mom and let her know I was heading to school - a oversight that happens when a seventeen-year-old kid finally breaks free from a toxic household for the first time.

It was a bittersweet experience, both traumatizing and liberating, as I savored my newfound freedom but struggled under the weight of responsibilities.

I've come to realize that I should cherish these days, focus on my academics, and prioritize my goals.
And, as I've learned from past mistakes,
I've got to be careful not to get sucked into pointless crushes and toxic relationships, so I can keep my priorities straight and my future on track.
After all, it's not all men, but always men who can either derail my dreams or empower me to achieve them.

In my seventeen years of life, I've made mistakes and poor choices, but I'm determined not to repeat them.

This time, I'm confident, resilient, and have moved on from my painful past, which I never want to relive. I'm ready to embrace this new chapter, armed with wisdom and a fierce determination to succeed."