Chapter 15: Riku

Two weeks into us being fated and I have yet to reveal my identity to Aurora. The fear of rejection echoed in my mind anytime I had the slightest bit of courage to do it. I found solace in knowing she was yet again mine and this time fate made sure of it. My mind was the same but visually I was a monster, and I couldn't bear the thought that she would see me like this. Knowing that there was nothing I could do to change what I was, I eventually would have to show her.

This evening was the local carnival, and we were to be in attendance with the rest of the fated house. Sporting my usual all black attire, that covered all my scars and staples piecing me together, I was happy we were getting out of the house for something other than training or grocery shopping. Word of Serenity's capture from District 1 had flown through the fated house. Yori was sending information back to me as he scouted the situation there. After tonight, Ekon planned with the rest of our army to send an ops unit out to the district 1 board and do intel.

My main objective was to keep Aurora in good spirits throughout this whole thing. I knew that Serenity not being around was hard enough, but when the lies of her fleeing due to mental illness spread, her depressive state grew stronger. So many secrets I keep from her and the weight was beginning to outnumber my strength.

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah, I'm coming."

"It's already 8 and the..." I was speechless upon her entrance to the living room.

"What? Do I look bad?" she spun towards the mirror. "I got this the other day...but maybe I should go change?" Her black dress clung to her like a second skin, molding itself to every curve and contour of her body. The sleeves dipped off her shoulders exposing a heart shaped neckline, the hem stopped a few inches above her knees. Thigh high leather boots added to the ensemble.

"The only reason you should want to change is because I won't be able to keep my hands off you wearing that, Dove." She chewed on her bottom lip when she got nervous. Something I hadn't noticed all those years ago, but I picked up on in the few short weeks we had lived together.

"Maybe we should go." She grabbed my arm pulling me from the trance she put on me.

We entered the limousine with the other couples making their way to the same location.

"Aurora, you look absolutely stunning!" screamed Nira from across the seats.

Nira was the fourth person that I met in district 3. She was a close friend of Yori's and good company to keep. She always held herself in a respectful manner and was quite powerful with her ability. There were many battles we may have lost had she not sent her shield to block my men.

"I could say the same to you Nira, you look fantastic in that orange color." Aurora and Nira both giggled.

"Well, at least I fit into my dress unlike some of us in here." Auroras legs began bouncing with Mally's comment. I pressed my hand into hers and pulled her tight to my side.

"You know Mally that blue dress goes perfectly with that black eye of yours." Nira retorted, "How did you get that again?"

"Nira, Nira, Nira, when will you learn to keep your mouth shut? This is between me and the waste of space I call my sister."

"Enough Mally, lets just have one good night." Aurora's power was building, I could feel her body running cold.

"Payback is a bitch, and you won't even see it coming." Mally leaned into Cale who looked more miserable by the second.

The remainder of the car ride, Aurora rested her head on my shoulder. Swirling my fingers over the back of her hand, her body temperature slowly rose back to normal. Approaching the main parking lot of the carnival I could see the droves of people swarming the festival grounds.