Chapter 0: Pottery Lesson

Hackett's Quarry Firepit, July 30th, 21:44

To celebrate the middle of the summer camp, in between two cohorts of children, the counselors are gathered around the firepit. On one tree trunk bench, Emma is sat on Jacob, with Abi, Nick, and Ryan besides them on another bench, while Kaitlyn, Dylan, and Kit are sat in front of the couple. The group had been drinking while playing "Never Have I Ever", which created a lot of laughter, especially when they learned Jacob had worn a thong before for a dare in high school. While he was laughing, Kit saw that even Ryan couldn't hide his smile.

"Okay okay okay", starts Jacob, clearly intoxicated, "who would like to see me jump over the fire nakeddd?," he says with a game host voice. The counselors cheer, while Emma shakes her head, a big smile on her lips.

"Don't come crying to me if you hurt yourself, dumbass," says Kaitlyn with a shrug, curious to see if her childhood friend will go through it.

"As much as I would love to see that, I unfortunately have to get my beauty sleep", states Kit, getting up from the trunk of the tree, earning boos from the counselors.

"Really, man? This will probably be the highlight of tonight", says Jacob, a bit disappointed to see the third musketeer call it a night.

"You don't get handsome like this without some work, baby", retorts Kit with a wink, which makes Nick whistle, and Kaitlyn smile. In the corner of his eye, he sees Dylan redden, who gets a playful shove from Kaitlyn.

"He's right", affirms Emma, taking a sip of her beer. "Bodies like ours are hard work," she continues with a smirk.

"Well, we won't keep you from your beauty sleep, 'Aurora'", says Nick, proud of his joke.

"Okay," scoffs Kit, amused. "Good night guys!"

"Good night Kit! See you at breakfast tomorrow", says Abi with a smile.

The rest of his friends wish him a good night, and Kit starts walking back to his cabin, humming softly to himself.

"Hey uh, I'm also a bit tired so, good night everybody!", says Dylan a few seconds after Kit left.

"Real subtle," quietly retorts Kaitlyn, to which Dylan answers "Shut up".

"You too?," asks Ryan, surprised to see him leave so early.

"Yeah, it just really hit me, you know? My bed is sounding really comfy right now", lies Dylan, holding Ryan unwavering gaze.

"Hmm, sure", says Emma with a knowing smile. "Sleep well!"

"Good night mate", says Nick, while the rest of the counselors wish him the same.

Dylan gets up, and after giving the group his classic smile, leaves the fire pit for the woods. After walking a few minutes, he arrives at a crossroads. He looks around, his eyes adjusting to the darkness as he does so. He sees a figure further who seems to walk away from him.

"Kit Kat, wait up!", yells Dylan when he sees Kit from afar.

The (h/c) guy turns around, surprised to see Dylan jogging up to him. He stops in his tracks, and waits for his crush to catch up to him.

"Hey stranger", says Kit once Dylan is beside him.

"Hey", casually answers Dylan, trying to subtly catch his breath.

They resume walking, Dylan being only a few inches away from Kit. Maybe it's the alcohol, but Dylan has a warm feeling inside of him as he walks with Kit, surrounded by trees.

"You know... I've actually never done pottery before", says Dylan, breaking the silence.

"Really? Not once in all your years as a camper here?", asks Kit, turning to face him, his expression incredulous.