five

NOBODY

Much to her dismay, on Monday morning Mariah found herself outside the Charlotte Hornets training facility. This was the last place she wanted to be, especially after Friday night's interaction with LaMelo. The area where he'd punched her turned into a nasty bruise that she had iced all weekend.

She was genuinely glad she'd injured her knee earlier in the school year and was out the rest of the basketball season because she knew her coach Irene would question her about the bruise during practice. Especially since Mariah hardly wore shirts in the gym.

Which brings her back to her current situation. It's ten fourty five and she's sitting in her car, regretting even getting out of bed.

MARIAH

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Why did I agree to this meeting? I feel like he's just gonna offer me my assistant equipment manager job back. I was pretty damn good at my job, and then I found out Melo got drafted here. So I left out of fear. At this point I have nothing to lose so why not? He's already here and done the worse he could do.

Anyways, entering the building made my heart pound. I hadn't walked these halls in so long, yet I still remember them like the back of my hand.

But what sucks is, Mj's office is a little bit past the practice court, which meant I had to possibly face others. Judging by all the yells and the sound of shoes skipping I heard, they were practing. I'm begging, please don't notice me.

Terry- Oh snapp! Is my favorite E.M back??

Dammit Terry. You just had to fucking say something. Out the corner of my eye I saw the older male stop what he was doing and look up.

Of course. Just my freaking luck, everyone else on the court looked up as well. Fucking nosy, that's what they all are.

Mariah- No!

Now drop the subject and go back to throwing the ball inside hoops. Please. No more.

Gordon- Liar, we can see the keycard!!

Shit. I'd been exposed. What now? I mean, there's still time for me to turn around and run. I can go back to Durham right now and never come back to this horrid city.

Mariah- No you can't.

Thankfully, I sped up my walking speed so that I was now past the court and near the offices. Why were there so fucking many?

Finding the right one, I lightly tapped on the door, indicating I was here. Waiting a couple seconds I heard a "come in." Opening the door, I was greeted with Mj, and Borrego just sitting there. Not gonna lie it was kind of intimidating.

Michael- Good afternoon Mariah.

Mariah- Uhh..hi?

James- Take a seat.

Oh Good Lord. I'm about to get sued. I swear I didn't even do anything. I took a seat in the chair next to Borrego and tried to not piss myself.

Michael- Do you know why I asked Borrego to have you meet us?

Mariah- No, not really.

James- We want to offer you your position back. But as Head assistant.

Head? The fuck does that even mean?? I swear the job I had was literally above the other assistant managers.

Mariah- Why?

James- Sánchez won't work with anyone unless he has you with him.

Awww. I'd lie and say that didn't make me the slightest bit flattered, but it did. Sanchez and I always had the best times together.