epilogue

(a/n: again thank you everyone for reading!! here's a little bonus chapter so i can close up a few of the remaining plot holes

(a/n: again thank you everyone for reading!! here's a little bonus chapter so i can close up a few of the remaining plot holes...also let me tell you one last funfact before this book ends - the white butterfly on this book cover embodies the idea of rebirth and the shedding of old, confining aspects of the previous lives....)

week 1

"I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling right now."

"My heart goes out to you during this incredibly difficult time. I am holding you in my thoughts and prayers."

"She's in a better place now."

"It was God's will,"

"She had such a pure heart."

I could only stare as the empty casket was lowered to the ground. Her body wasn't retrieved. But her parents still requested a funeral, having me as a witness of her death. A few strangers were with me. But I didn't know any of them. They all cried.

Why did none of them cried when she was still alive? Ni-ki, the only one I brought with me was quietly sobbing next to me, trying to suppress his cries. He failed.

"My baby, my poor baby. If only she accepted our help and came back to us." An elder woman cried in the arms of a man.

"Nothing is more painful than see your child leave first." The man added, hugging the woman, "Things will be alright. It's okay, honey."

"We lost one already and now the other..."

That's when it hit me.

Her parents?
I approached them, fuming inside. My crutches and the pain that shot through my body didn't stop me from moving forward.

"Don't, dear." A hand suddenly stopped him, holding me back. It was Ji's landlady. The only person I  recognized on this fateful event.

"What? Why?" My eyes glistened with tears, "They shouldn't be here. They don't deserve to be here."

"Jungwon, dear." The old woman shook her head with pity. Her wrinkly hands were on top of the mine. "They are her parents. I know you are angry. Let her rest, you shouldn't cause a scene. They are grieving too."

"They never loved her." I shook his head, angry tears flowing down my face. "They never cared. Ji wouldn't want them to be here."

I took a deep breath. Staring at the wicked couple for the last time, I straightened my tie to look presentable for Ji and turned away.

That day, I didn't talk to them.
I pretended as though they didn't exist.

Because that's what she would have done.

week 2

"Jungwon? Can I ask you something?" Ni-ki knocked on my hospital door out of nowhere. I put down my pencil and the letter I was writing for her.