9 - The Brand

The morning sun filtered through the large windows of the airy office space, casting a warm glow over the sleek, modern furnishings. Ananya stood by the window, her gaze drifting over the city skyline. It had been a whirlwind since she and Rishaan had started setting up 'Rajsi's' headquarters. Yet amidst the excitement of new beginnings, an underlying tension simmered beneath the surface. 

Rishaan was busy arranging some fabric swatches on a nearby table, his brow furrowed in concentration. "Anu, come take a look at these lace samples. I think they'd be perfect for our first collection." 

Ananya turned away from the window, her thoughts momentarily diverted. She walked over to join Rishaan at the table, studying the delicate fabrics spread out before her. 

"They're beautiful, Rish. Elegant and timeless." Rishaan smiled, his eyes lighting up. 

"Just like you always imagined, right?" Ananya nodded, but her mind was elsewhere. 

She couldn't shake the unease that had settled over her since they had started working together on this project. The knowledge that Rishaan was pretending to be Rehaan, her betrothed, was a constant weight on her shoulders. She stole a glance at Rishaan, noting the resemblance to his twin brother—her intended groom. How had everything become so complicated? 

As they continued discussing design ideas, memories from their childhood flooded Ananya's mind. She and Rishaan had been inseparable as kids, sharing dreams and secrets. But their bond had changed when Rishaan had left for the US in high school.

"Remember the treehouse we built in your backyard?" Rishaan's voice brought Ananya back to the present. 

Ananya smiled wistfully. "Of course. We spent so many afternoons there, dreaming about the future." 

Rishaan nodded, a flicker of nostalgia crossing his face. "Those were the days, Anu. Everything seemed so simple back then." 

Ananya's smile faltered slightly. "Yes, it did." 

Rishaan glanced at her, sensing her change in demeanor. "Anu, is everything okay?" 

Ananya hesitated, then forced a smile. "Of course, Rish. Just excited about this project. 

"Rishaan's gaze lingered on her, his expression unreadable. Ananya turned away, her heart heavy with unspoken words. How could she tell him that this charade was uncomfortable? Rishaan was a talented designer and the world should know that.

Later that afternoon, as they finalized the office layout, Ananya stole a moment alone by the window again. She watched the bustling city below, lost in her thoughts. Suddenly, Rishaan's voice interrupted her reverie. 

"Anu, can we talk?" Ananya turned to face him, her heart skipping a beat at the earnestness in his eyes. 

"Sure, Rishu. What is it?" Rishaan took a deep breath, his gaze unwavering. "I... I know this isn't easy for you, Anu. The whole situation with Rehaan and the marriage... I never wanted things to turn out this way. In fact I didn't know until yesterday that it had taken this turn."

 Ananya's eyes widened in surprise. Rishaan rarely showed vulnerability, always projecting confidence and charm. Seeing him like this tugged at her heartstrings. 

"I wish things were different," Rishaan continued, his voice tinged with regret. "I wish I hadn't agreed to this deception, to pretending to be someone I'm not."

 Ananya felt a lump form in her throat. "Rishu..." Rishaan stepped closer, his expression pained. 

"Anu, I want you to know that I'm here for you. Whatever happens, whatever you decide... I'll support you."