21. Two Peaches and Three Generals

"These damn gates won't open!" the oldest man snorted, "come and sit, you can rush when they open."

Finding it logical, the other team mates joined Yan Ying and the oldest man, who were sitting on the stony ground in the middle of the room.

"I still don't know your names," Yan Ying blurted out suddenly, making the others exchange a glance.

"You don't need to know, we use nick-" Mr. Jiu wanted to intervene, but the determined man shushed him.

"Just names, why don't you want me to know?" he asked, hurt mingling with his words. He didn't want to look so offended, but he was offended. Wasn't he a member of the team? Didn't he help them many times?

Mr. Jiu just gaped at him, not expecting such an outburst.

"My name is An Mao," the youngest said with a smile.

"I am Lao Yang," the fake-teeth man waved his hand.

"Cong Rao," the oldest man revealed his name as well.

Happily, Yan Ying nodded with a smile. Although he couldn't get over R's rejection, he felt a bit better.

"While talking about names," Mr. Jiu rubbed his chin with a thoughtful manner, "your name sounds very familiar from somewhere..."

Yan Ying raised his eyebrows. How come a history professor didn't know about the famous general?

"So?" An Mao asked curiously.

"Well, it comes from the story Two Peaches and Three Soldiers," Yan Ying started to tell the story:

Gongsun Jie, Tian Kaijiang, and Gu Yezi were the three warriors under Qi Jinggong. Once, the three of them were sitting and talking, Qi Xiang and Yan Ying walked in front of them, but they did not stand up to salute. Yan Ying went in and said to Qi Jinggong: "Those three warriors are getting too proud of themselves. They should be respectful of their ruler and other officials, but their behavior is setting a bad example to their juniors. Such soldiers cannot be relied on to fight for the country. I believe they should be eliminated."

One day some time later, Duke Zhao of Lu Province visited the Royal Court of Qi. Duke Jing gave a banquet in his honor. After the main course, Yan Ying went to the garden and came back with five peaches. One went to Duke Zhao, one to Duke Jing who gave the third one to Prime Minister Yan Ying. With that there were only two peaches left. The Prime Minister Yan Ying stood and said, "I will give a peach to one of you who has the greatest merits" as he looked at the three brave men. "Please tell me who deserves it."

"I deserve it," said Gongsun Jie. "I saved the Duke's life when he was attacked by a boar during hunting."

Prime Minister Yan Ying promptly awarded him a peach along with a glass of wine.

Gu Yezi, the second warrior then rose to his feet. "I am also entitled to one. Once I escorted the Duke crossing a river. Suddenly a giant turtle sprang from under the water. Our boat almost capsized. I jumped into the water, fought the animal and killed it. I nearly drowned saving the duke's life."

Prime Minister Yan Ying nodded and awarded him the second of the two remaining peaches.

Then the last one, Tian Kaijiang, stood up. "I saved the Duke's life twice with my sword when he was attacked by the enemy in battle. Do you remember?"

"Yes, indeed I do remember," said Prime Minister Yan Ying. "Your merits certainly are superior to the others, but you spoke too late. I can only offer you some wine now. But you'll be awarded a peach next year."

Tian Kaijiang was enraged. "Killing a boar or a giant turtle is fine. But I fought the enemy to save the Duke. Now I am denied even a peach, I'll be a laughing stock." So he drew out his sword and killed himself.

Gu Yezi was stunned. "I'm not as good as Tian Kaijiang. Now he is dead because I took the peach that really belongs to him. I hate myself. I would be a coward not to die." And saying this, he fell on his own sword.

Gongsun Jie looked on in consternation. "The three of us are always together. Now two are dead, what face have I got to live on?" So he, too, cut his own throat.

And with that, Qi and Yan Ying were free from the troubles of the three rude warriors.

The group listened to Yan Ying with utmost attention and almost clapped when he was done.

"I believe it was your grandfather who gave this name," Mr. Jiu commented, all-knowing.

Yan Ying smiled bittersweetly, "indeed, he said he wanted me to be a smart man like the Prime Minister Yan Ying, but I just got his killing power."

Noticing what he blurted out, Yan Ying looked down, but not before seeing R's wondering eyes on himself.

Luckily, before the others could ask him further, the loud crack was heard again and the gates one and four opened.

Seeing it, Yan Ying jumped on his feet and grabbed the corner of R's sleeve, "take it back."