39. You Didn't...?

Feeling something cool on his face, Yan Ying opened his eyes and immediately jumped back, hitting his head on the bedhead, when he saw R looming over him.

"R!" he rubbed his head as he stared at the now retreated man, "what were you doing for Heaven's sake?"

R looked at him calmly and showed him the ointment bottle.

Yan Ying couldn't laugh or cry. He kicked the blanket and rose to his feet. He walked to the bathroom to refresh himself, but he saw some food containers on the dining table.

"Did you buy breakfast?" he asked with astonishment. R was acting out of character for the last two days.

R nodded and pointed at the bag on the armchair, "clothes."

Why so attentive? Yan Ying asked inwardly, then blushed to his very thought. Before R saw his reaction, he rushed to the bathroom after grabbing the bag.

When he was back with his miraculously well-fitted clothes, (dark blue jeans, orange sweater), the table was already set and R was sitting in front of the table, waiting for him.

"Looks good," he mumbled awkwardly as he sat across from R. He randomly stuffed some food in his mouth and tried to swallow his awkwardness along with the food.

But, R didn't help him any.

"So, did you check the pictures I gave you?" Yan Ying asked when the silence and R's gaze were too nerve-wracking.

R looked at him, confused, then his expression softened as he seemingly remembered about the photos, "not yet," he answered after a second with a neutral tone.

Yan Ying's eyes widened with shock. How come he didn't look at the pictures while he looked for the clues for many years? "Not yet?" he repeated after the initial shock, "why?"

R looked straight into his eyes, "I had more important things to deal with."

It was obvious he was talking about him!!!!

With this revelation, Yan Ying felt his soul leave his body and the chopsticks fell out of his grip. Was he really more important than his family??? Really???!!!

No, wait, don't jump into conclusion, his brain mercifully reminded him, so he feigned a cough and opened his mouth to ask him to clarify those "more important things", but the ringing of a phone prevented him.

"Your phone," he grumbled, but then he found the melody a bit too familiar, "wait, is it mine?" he asked and R nodded.

"Oh," he rose to his feet, but then he remembered that his phone was at his grandfather's house. Then how come...

"DID YOU BRING MY PHONE FROM MY GRANDFATHER'S HOUSE??!!!" he roared when it dawned on him.

R nodded again and he rose to his feet as well. As he realized the former had no intention to get the still ringing phone, he took the job and brought the phone to its owner.

Still gaping like a fish out of water, Yan Ying got the phone and answered in a daze, "hello?"

"Was it your doing???"

"Ha?" the dazed man moved the phone from his ear to check the caller. Damn, it was Mr. Jiu, so it couldn't be good.

"Answer me!" the old man shouted again, almost bursting his eardrum.

"What are you talking about?" Yan Ying asked, his eyes never leaving R.

"This morning, many historical artifacts worth millions of yuan were found on the door of the National Museum!"

"Okay, so?"

"THESE WERE YOUR FAMILY'S!!!!"

Yan Ying moved the phone away from his ear and put the speaker on in order not to be deaf, "how come?"

"You didn't know?" Mr. Jiu asked a bit calmly.

"Of course not!" he exclaimed, but a sudden realization hit him hard. Not minding being rude, he ended the call after mumbling a bye and stared at R intently.

"You didn't..."

"I did," R acknowledged nonchalantly.

"How... why?" Yan Ying was in a terminal shock. He couldn't even phrase the questions in his mind properly.

R just shrugged, "they shouldn't have messed with you."

They shouldn't have messed with you...

His words echoed on and on in Yan Ying's brain and settled in his heart, blooming like daffodils.

"How..." he mumbled again, not knowing what he meant to ask about.

"Your 'family' has an illegal antique shop where they sell the artifacts which are from your grandfather's tomb raiding," R enlightened him, "I just got the stolen items back and gave them to a rightful place. They deserved it."

Yan Ying was touched. No, he was more than touched. Other than his grandfather, nobody cherished him like R did, so he was about to cry with gratitude... with love...

"Thank you," he whispered with a shaky voice full of emotions, then asked "and my phone...?" with curiosity. He was a curious person, so what?

"I went to your grandfather's house to get it."

Well, that was obvious. Rolling his eyes, Yan Ying asked "and...?"

"It doesn't matter. Forget about them, and eat your breakfast."