Chapter Two

Water dripped down from the pipes above us and pooled onto the hard-concrete grey floor. The icy cold liquid soaked up into my socks. Ewe. Wet socks were disgusting but being barefoot would be even worse.

The flashlight barely put out enough light for us to see maybe five feet ahead. Mice scurried along the floor, trying to hide from the light. Ugh! Why did there have to be mice here?

Lizzie and I clung to each other. I shivered. Someone should've put heat in here.

"S-See, this isn't so bad," Lizzie said.

My eyes narrowed. "This isn't so bad!?"

"N-No," said Lizzie. "It's better than last time."

I hated to admit it, but Lizzie was right. It was better than the last time. It was just mice and not the monster.

Of course, when I asked my dad, he said that it was just an old story about monsters. He thought my imagination was running wild again.

"What if we see the monster?" I asked.

"Your dad said there wasn't a monster down here."

"He has to say that, Lizzie!"

"Just don't stop moving," said Lizzie. "Think about the cookies."

Carefully, we crept down the passageway. The thought of the warm gooey chocolate chip cookies was the only reason I was here in the first place. And Lizzie's puppy-dog face.

Maybe Dean would even get us a glass of cold milk. He knew it was morally wrong to make cookies and not have milk.

Thump! Thump! Thump!

I froze. "What is that?"

Thump! Thump! Thump!

She shook her head. "The pipes. It has to be the pipes."

Thump! Thump! Thump!

Whatever it was, it was getting louder and louder.

"That isn't the pipes," I hissed.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Bright yellow eyes lit up the near pitch-black hallway.

Lizzie and I screamed. Gripping onto each other, we bolted down the hallway. The pooled water on the floor nearly made us slide into the wall. I pumped my legs as hard as fast as they could. A sharp pain shot down my calf. Come on, just a little bit further. The thumping faded into the distance.

We only stopped once we came to a fork in the passageway. Lizzie and I glanced at each other. Did we take a right or left last time??

Thump! Thump! Thump!

Without waiting, we sprinted down the right hallway as quickly as we could. We ran for what felt like hours, but it was only five minutes.

Finally, we came to a dead-end. Backed up into the corner was another bookshelf. It was nearly identical to the one in the hallway minus all the flowers on it. Frantically, I yanked at the books.

The bookshelf slid open halfway. Lizzie and I tumbled out into the kitchen. I nearly landed face-first on the hard-grey floor.

Bright fluorescent lights blinded me. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get my vision back. I blinked a few times and jumped back. The entire kitchen staff of about 15 people stared wide-eyed at us.

Lizzie dusted herself off. "No, we're fine. Thanks for asking."

She might've been fine, but my legs wobbled underneath me. Please don't let the monster come in here. Please.