PROLOGUE

Prospera Senior High School hallway pulsed with the energy of students rushing to their next class. Erin stood at her locker, her facade of cheerfulness slipped as she fumbled with her stuff, her heart heavy with insecurity. Kakatingin nya lang sa resulta ng 1st Semester Academic Excellence Awardees. Grade 12 na sya. Wala sya sa list. Wala naman talaga sanang problema kung di sya napasali .. but having a top student boyfriend is ... a different thing... and this is High School. Of course, it matters. For some. ..The status quo.

Meanwhile, Ethan, ever observant, noticed Erin's distress from across the hallway and made his way toward her, a frown etched on his usually composed features.

Erin, forcing a smile as Ethan approached

"Wuv. You're done na? I'm hungry. Treat me now!"

Ethan's eyes flickered with concern as he took in Erin's strained expression, her attempts to mask her turmoil failing in his perceptive gaze. He always melts every time his girlfriend calls him wuv (love) but when she's in distressed, even her cuteness won't have an effect right now.

Ethan, his voice low and concerned

"You know how much I hate you bottling up your worries."

"Ha? What are you saying ba? Come on na." Erin tried to brush off his concern with a dismissive wave of her hand while trying to drag Ethan to the canteen but he saw through her facade, his protective instincts kicked into overdrive as he observed her trembling hands and the sadness  lurking behind her forced smile. He was looking at her eyes trying to coax her to tell him what was bothering her.. but she was busy looking at his back, biglang nataranta ang kanyang nobya sa kung ano man ang nakita.

"Una na lang ako. I—I forgot something pala sa classroom. Daanan ko muna"

Pero bago pa nya maiwanan si Ethan, nahawakan na sya sa braso. He followed Erin's gaze. He now grasped her unease and apprehension as some of his friends were approaching their way towards them. The boys approached with stern expressions, while the girls sauntered over, their faces adorned with smirks, their intentions unmistakable as they targeted his girlfriend for their ridicule.

"1st again? Man. Take a chill pill", Noah Tejano, isa sa mga matalik na kaibigan ni Ethan. He was referring to the newly posted list of academic achievers.

Erin was just looking down at her feet. Ethan noticed her fidgety hands kaya hinawakan nya ng mahigpit ang isang kamay nito.

"Si Ethan pa ba. Pinanganak na ata yang matalino. 'Di na yan dumaan sa Montessori approach. Pang Einstein na agad! Hahaha", biro naman ni Kairus Avila, pinakamadaldal sa kanilang grupo.

Hindi pa din umimik si Ethan.

"Hi, Erin!", Pacute ni Oliver, pinsan ni Noah na bago lang napasali sa grupo nilang magkakaibigan.

Sinuway naman agad ito ni Kayla, ang Protocol Officer ng SSG nila. "Really?"

"What? I just said hi!", Oliver defended

"So, Ethan. Noah's place later? The usual?", Maya asked. Anak ng school vice-president, consistent achiever din. Obviously ignoring Erin's presence. Nakagawian na kase nilang magkakaibigan na nagcecelebrate every end of the semester, sa tuwing announcement of honor roll list. Silang lahat naman ay palaging nasa listahan.

Erin was still silent beside Ethan.

"I'll try", maikling sagot ni Ethan. He's not dumb na patagalin pa ang discomfort ng kanyang nobya kaya humingi na ito ng dispensa na mauna na sila. "Mauna na kami. She left something in their classroom"

"Ethan ---", pipigilan sana ni Erin ang kanyang nobyo. Baka iisipin ng mga kaibigan ni Ethan na sya ang dahilan kaya 'di ito makapunta.

"Are you serious, Ethan!?", galit na asik ni Diana while shooting daggers at Erin. Ang childhood friend ni Ethan. SSG President. Parating kasunod sa academic ranking nila ni Ethan. Before Erin, there was only Diana na parating kasama ni Ethan, na nakasanayan ng halos lahat ng tao sa kanilang paaralan.

"I'm sorry. I'll go ahead, first. Please excuse me", paumanhin ni Erin sa kanila. Binawi nya ang kamay nya kay Ethan but he held it firmly habang nakipagsukatan din ng tingin kay Diana.

"What the fuck is wrong with my response, Diana?", galit rin na saad ni Ethan.

Maya carelessly interrupted, "I heard she bombed her tests in Practical Research and Applied Economics." She's referring to Erin's failed exam result in the 2 subjects.

"It's not a surprise, Maya", Kayla responded while crossing her arms. Eyes mocking the woman who was glued to her feet.

Magsasalita na sana si Erin pero naputol ito ng sumagot si Noah. "Girls. Enough."

Maya replied, obviously offended by Noah's lowkey defense of Erin. "Totoo naman ah. She's always embarrassing Ethan with her animalistic behavior. Booze. Night life. Pero tiklop naman dito sa pag-aaral."

"Maya's right. 'Wag mo sanang masamain, Erin ha. We're just concerned with Ethan. Diana misses her bestfriend too. 'Di lang sya nagsasabi sa amin pero kagaya namin, nagtatampo na din kami kase 'di na masyado naming nakakasama si Ethan.", Kayla's support to Maya's argument

Erin tried to defend herself, "I don't steal naman all of Ethan's time. May mga urgent ---",

"Urgent? Are you kidding me? What do you think he is? Your babysitter? na may kailangan taga bantay sayo, taga ayos ng mga gusot na kagagawan nyo naman ng mga kaibigan mo?", Diana spoke fast, with sarcasm and hint of anger

Sasagot na sana si Erin when Ethan quickly defender her. "Stop the shit, Diana"

"Ano ba Ethan!", sabi ni Diana

"Do not fucking test me, Diana. Insulting my woman in front of me is not something I can tolerate no matter who the fuck you guys are."

"Ethan, let's go na", nababahala na pahayag ni Erin. Kilala nya ang nobyo. He's like a calm river but when tested, he spits fire like a volcano. At ayaw nyang masira ang pagkakaibigan nila ng dahil lang sa kanya or sa relasyon nila.

"Tama na.", Saad ni Noah sa mga kasama nya. He quickly turned to Ethan and Erin, "Sorry, guys. Mauna na lang kayo. Pagsasabihan ko na lang 'to sila mamaya"

Ethan nodded thankfully to his friend but not before saying his piece, "I know how you all detest my relationship with Erin. It's fucking obvious in the beginning. But who the hell are you to decide for me?"

"You changed", sagot ni Diana na dismayado sa pananalita ng kanyang bestfriend.

"But for what?", nangungutyang tanong ni Maya

Ethan responded. Voice was low but vehement. "I didn't. I just love. And you don't understand because you chose not to."

Hindi na hinintay ni Ethan na makapagsalita pa ang mga kaibigan nya. Hinila na nya palayo ang nobya nyang nanginginig sa nerbyos.

Nang nakabalik sila sa classroom ni Erin. Nilock ni Ethan ang classroom. Kumuha ng silya at pinaupo nya sa kanyang kandungan ang babaeng pinakamamahal nya.

"You forget what happened. You focus on me. On us. Do you hear me, my love?" Nakahawak ang isang kamay nya sa bewang ni Erin, habang sapo-sapo naman ng isang kamay nya ang mukha nito. He's looking at her intently.

Tulala si Erin. Ang daming gumugulo sa isipan nya. Hindi nya alam kung ano ang unang sasabihin.

"Love! Hey. Do you understand what I just asked you? I love you. Nothing's wrong. You're enough. You have me. You ignore them.", assured Ethan with conviction in his words.

Erin couldn't control anymore herself. She sobbed on his shoulder. She was hiding her face in his neck, tears falling uncontrollably while Ethan whispered comforting and reassuring words to calm his beloved in his arms.