Chapter 15

Billie's engine hummed in the empty but familiar parking spot. She could slightly recall all the evenings she spent between these once white lines, which now faded to yellow from the unforgiving California sun. She'd never seen the car park in sunlight before, and she never had a reason to because what happened here only happened in the dead of night, where they were hidden behind shadows and protected by the darkness.

It was ironic to be here under different circumstances; she never came here unless she had to. She hated this place and the person it made her, but she could never control herself when the phone buzzed during silent nights and old habits took over. Shamefully, she was here a few weeks ago once again, unable to deny her urges, but now that feels like a lifetime ago.

Billie's eyes locked on the tiny cracks in the cement floor illuminated by her headlights, and she rapidly tapped her fingers on the steering wheel. It was well past midnight, and her patience was wearing thin while she waited for the growl of Melissa's Audi.

Billie attempted to call her again, like she had for the past 30 minutes, but was immediately met with an automated voice once again.

"Bitch." Billie muttered before chucking her phone into the center console, about to put her car in reverse, when a bright light bounced off her rearview mirror and directly into her eyes. She flinched before squinting into the reflection.

"Fucking finally." She scoffed and swung open her door just as Melissa pulled up next to her.

Despite the tinted windows, which Melissa would definitely get fined for, Billie could see her aimlessly scrolling through her phone before eventually getting out to meet Billie's gaze over the roof of her car.

"What's up, Bil? I haven't heard from you in a while." Melissa plopped her arms onto the cold roof as a mischievous grin spread on her lips, but Billie met her with a hard glare, leaning her weight against her own car door. "I thought you'd be excited to be back here. You're the one who called me, remember?" Melissa lifted one eyebrow and rested her chin on her arms.

Melissa was right. Billie was the one who called her, but not for the reasons Melissa might think.

Billie was done, and she needed to make that clear.

"Melissa-" Billie started, but her words were quickly cut off.

"You know, I was actually impressed that you finally had the guts to call first after all these years. Although since you decided to ghost me a few weeks ago, I think I've found someone new, so I'm not sure if this is going to work out." Melissa put on a fake pout. "Actually, I think you guys know each other." Melissa gradually made her way over to Billie, as if stalking her prey. "Let me know if the name rings a bell." She paused, a smug grin on her face. "Ivy."

They stood in silence. Melissa bit her lip eagerly, waiting for a reaction from Billie, and Billie refused to acknowledge the effect Melissa's words had on her. Once Melissa had fully rounded her car, she mimicked Billie's stance with a knowing grin. Billie wouldn't give Melissa the satisfaction of getting under her skin, and she stood firm in her position while Melissa inched towards her. As Melissa got closer, Billie noticed the look in her eyes. She saw how they skimmed up and down her frame and how Melissa licked her lips. Billie knew that look, and she knew what would happen next if it was just another night with the two of them alone in this vacant parking lot. Billie started to shuffle anxiously and pick the skin around her nails as she tried to force the memories away.

"What? Got nothing to say?" Melissa tilted her head mockingly. "Well, it wouldn't be the first time I managed to leave you speechless." Her eyes flickered to the door of Billie's backseat before looking back at the girl with a proud smirk.