Prologue

(3rd Person's POV)

"Huh?! Do you really think that a kid like you can protect everyone? You sure are arrogant."

"Having power also means bearing the responsibility when using it. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be responsible for every life that you failed to save. After all, we have our limits."

"And why is that so? One, it's because you're just a kid. Two, you just have the power that other people didn't have. It's not like you became an immortal. And three, you'll definitely break if you try to hold yourself accountable for every shit that happens."

"...I-It is the adults' responsibility to protect kids, not the other way round. T-That's why I...I find it irresponsible whenever those pesky higher-ups...order people who couldn't look after themselves around."

"W-We will definitely see...each other in the future, even though I'm not sure if you'll remember me. But until then, I guess we should part ways..."

"Take care of yourself, Imouto..."

"..."

---

"That dream again..." a teenage girl mumbled right after waking up.

"Sweetie, are you awake now? It's your first day of school," her mother announced right after entering her room.

"I just woke up, Eomma. Sorry," she apologized.

"Why are you apologizing? It's not as if you've done anything wrong," her mother smiled, patting her shoulder. "I prepared an extra lunch box. Make sure to bring it, will you?"

"Uhm...alright," she sighed in defeat before preparing for school.

(Meanwhile...)

"What's the situation today?" a middle-aged man asked upon entering his office.

"Nothing worth mentioning, Mister Park. However, we are currently detecting some faint but intrusive energy signatures for the past three days," his secretary reported. "We've been observing it ever since but it made no movement at all. Rather, it's staying in the very place where it appeared."

"Send some of our men there to investigate. I don't want my daughter's first day of school to get ruined because of it," he ordered.

"I knew you'll be saying that so I have a team set up camp in the location yesterday," his secretary replied.

"Good work," he answered.

"No worries, Sir. How is the young miss, by the way?" his secretary asked.

"You know her. She doesn't talk to me unless it involves work," he sighed. "She's still in her rebel years so...it natural, I guess."

"I guess you better talk with her, Sir. After all, it's not healthy anymore," the secretary advised.

"I'll try," he answered.

"As you should. After all, young girls grow real fast," the secretary replied. "If you want to, I'd arrange for---hello there," she added after answering a phone call.

"Is there a problem?" he asked.

"According to our men, the energy signature moved just now," the secretary replied. "And it turns out to be a rift break," she reported.

"Sitrep?" he asked.

"The situation's still under control so you don't have to send her in there," the secretary replied.

I hope so, too, he thought, worried about the future.

***