Sienna

I looked up at the clock and it was past midnight.

"What is Dad doing out this late?" I wondered.

Normally the pizzeria he works at closes at midnight, and it's been 45 minutes since then and I was so worried sick that I couldn't sleep.

That's why I'm still up this late doing my calculus homework that I originally planned to do today in the afternoon, to occupy my brain.

Thank goodness, today is Saturday night.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang.

Finally! He's home! I got up and went to open the door.

"Sweetie!" My dad exclaimed smiling.

I hugged him tightly and he was surprised.

"Where were you?" I spoke. "I was so worried."

I let him go.

"Honey, I am so sorry." My dad said. "I had to work overtime today; you know how it is on Saturday nights."

He held my hands and looked at me with this sweet look. I saw his big puffy eyebags, and I knew even though he was smiling at me with this big smile that resembled mine a lot, my dad was extremely tired, I know all he is thinking about right now is going to sleep.

"Dad come on, you should go get changed and rest up." I said, pulling him in and closing the door behind him.

"Honey, I'm fine." He said patting my head reassuringly. "And besides, I have good news."

"Really!" I exclaimed. "What is it?"

He caressed my face.

"Sienna." He said sweetly. "I have a new job."

"What!"

I was so surprised and extremely happy for my father.

"Dad we should celebrate this!" I said excitedly as we sat down on the couch. "But first, what kind of job did you get?"

My dad breathed in.

"I got a job as a private chef for a rich family." He said with a big smile.

"What!" I said shocked. "So, the pay must be great."

My dad held my hands.

"The pay is way better than my salary at the pizzeria." My dad said. "I have faith that our situation will be better from now on."

I hugged my dad and smiled with a tear streaming down my face.

"This is such good news, Dad." I said through tears.

Then something dawned on me, and I let go.

"Then why are you telling me that you worked overtime today when you had a job interview?"

"Oh right." My dad spoke. "The pizzeria was pretty packed today and Dan needed the extra help, he said it's the least I could do since it's my last day working there, I'm starting my new job on Monday."

"Oh"

"Enough about that." He said putting my hair in my ear and smiling. "You said we should celebrate, what are you planning?"
I thought for a minute, then I held him by the shoulders.

"Since I have some money saved up and tomorrow is Sunday." I said happily. "How about we go eat some ice cream then have some fun at the arcade."

"That sounds great." He said then he kissed me on the cheek.

But I was curious.

"Who is this rich family you are working for?" I asked.

"You won't believe it, honey!" he said eagerly. "But this couple are the owners of Cesco groups, and their son is a popular model and influencer, not only that but he is also a smart kid."

"Wow that's really impressive." I spoke.

But then suddenly my dad's facial expression shifted, and he stopped smiling.

"Dad what's wrong?" I asked.

"I might be very busy, and we might not get to see each other all the time." He spoke.

Oh right, I haven't thought of that possibility. I held his hands.

"It's going to be a bit lonely, that's for sure." I spoke. "But I can manage. I'm 17 not 7, I can take care of myself."

"Oh, my daughter is a big girl now." He said tears streaming down his.

"No need to cry Dad." I said a bit shocked by this sudden change of emotions.

"I'm sorry." My dad sniffing.

He wiped his tears and I put my head on his shoulder, he rubbed my cheek.

"You know." He spoke. "In my eyes, you will always be that seven-year-old who loved riding her pink bicycle all the time."

We laughed as we remembered the time he first taught me how to ride a bike, after that day it was as if that bike was permanently glued to me because I rode it every day.

I lifted my head up.
"Dad, are you hungry?" I asked looking at him.

As if it had perfect timing, I heard his stomach grumbling.

We were both surprised for a minute, then we both laughed.

"I guess my stomach answered for me." He said jokingly.

"Good thing I bought some ramen today after work since I finished pretty late, and I was too tired to make dinner."

"Is it the spicy ones?" He said excitedly.

"Yes" I said. "Let's see who will survive the longest."

"I'm a chef so assume that you've lost." He said challenging me.

"You're on." I replied as I got up to get the noodles.