CHAPTER ONE, sunset tradition

Ah, sunsets—the daily spectacle where nature paints the sky with its most vibrant hues. They're like nature's way of saying, "Hey, pause for a moment and appreciate this beauty." Whether you're watching from a beach, a mountaintop, or even just your backyard, there's something mesmerizing about seeing the sun dip below the horizon, casting an array of colors across the sky. Each one feels unique, like a fleeting masterpiece that's there one moment and gone the next.

Anastasia loved the sunset. There was a certain tranquility in seeing it every day. No matter how many times she saw it, she would always find herself lost in its splendor. She always looked forward to its appearance at the end of the day. She never grew tired of its majesty. The sky was like a canvas, and the sunset was the artist's brush. Every evening was a new masterpiece. Tonight, Anastasia sat on her roof like she did most nights to watch the sunset. There was a peaceful serenity when she sat out there, and she enjoyed being able to spend some time alone with her thoughts. The sunsets in her little town were always gorgeous. They always made her feel relaxed and happy. She had always loved sunsets. They were her favorite part of the day.

She was snapped out of her thoughts by the sound of movement. Followed by the sight of Marcus emerging onto the roof, his silhouette outlined by the fading light of the setting sun. She couldn't help but smile as he joined her, the familiar comfort of his presence washing over her like a warm embrace. Without a word, he settled beside her, his gaze fixed on the horizon as they watched the sun dip below the skyline together.

They had done this every evening since they were kids, the two of them sitting on her roof or his and watching the sun set, talking about their days and sharing secrets. It was a tradition they had started when they were younger, the two of them finding solace in each other's company as they escaped from the chaos of their everyday lives. Over the years, the routine had stuck, their ritual becoming a symbol of their friendship and a source of comfort and stability in a world that was often unpredictable and confusing. It was their safe haven, a place where they could let their guard down and be themselves without fear of judgement or ridicule.

The roof had become their sanctuary, a place where they could be honest and vulnerable with each other without fear of rejection or ridicule. They had shared some of their deepest, darkest secrets and fears on this roof, the darkness and solitude a buffer from the outside world. As the last rays of sunlight faded and the sky turned a deep shade of indigo, Anastasia turned to face Marcus, a soft smile tugging at the corners of her lips. He met her gaze, the warmth and affection in his eyes making her heart flutter.

"Hey." She greeted, her voice barely a whisper.

"Hey." He replied, the ghost of a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

A moment of comfortable silence passed between them before Marcus speaks again. "Do you come here often?" He teased, and she laughed softly, the sound mingling with the evening breeze.

"Only almost every night," She replies, her eyes still fixed on the horizon. "You?" She looked back at him with a smile, an amused glint in her eye from his teasing. 

"Only every chance I get, Stas." Marcus replied with a grin, nudging her playfully with his shoulder.

 "Well, lucky for you, I don't mind the company." She teased back, leaning slightly into his shoulder.

Marcus returns her smile, his gaze returning to the darkening sky. "I don't know what I'd do without our sunset tradition." He admitted, his voice soft with sincerity.

"Me neither," Anastasia confesses, her tone equally earnest. "It's like...No matter what's going on in the world, everything feels a little bit better when I'm here with you, watching this."