CHAPTER 02

V E D A N   S H E K H A W A T

If someone had told seventeen-year-old Vedan that his career would pivot eight years down the line, he would have just laughed in disbelief. Twenty-five-year old Vedan wanted to do the same because it had been a year since his ACL injury and the pain still haunted him. 

Both physically and mentally. 

He took a sip of the tea that his grandmother had prepared for him, mulling over the changes that he had to get accustomed to. No one could make it as well as she could. They had tried, but the seventy-year-old was determined to not reveal her secret. Vedan didn't mind. As long as he could keep drinking it, he had no issue whatsoever. 

"Ma, tell him that he can't keep dwelling in self pity." a familiar voice stated, lacking any sort of empathy or compassion. Vedan had met thousands of people in his life, and yet, none had come even close to pulling it off as good as Gaurav Shekhawat did. A man that he had the misfortune of calling father. "He's just twenty-five. Not dead."

Padmavati Shekhawat sent her son a sharp glare. "Don't you dare talk about something like that under my roof, Gaurav. If he needs time, he will take time. When he wants to start working, I'll personally make sure that he finds his way to your headquarters. You can leave now."

"You're encouraging his behaviour." his father said through gritted teeth. "He knew that he wasn't going to play soccer forever. Even the most seasoned athletes retire in their thirties to start working somewhere else, so it's not like he never saw it coming."

"You're right." His father's head snapped towards the balcony where he had been sitting. "I did see it coming. I just didn't expect my dream to slip away from my fingers while I was in my prime. Not that you would know. You've had your dream in your grasp longer than I have been alive, so don't you dare start trivializing my life. You have no right."

"I have no right?" Gaurav asked, sounding incredulous. Vedan closed his eyes. It had happened countless times by that point for him to know what to expect. His father always found a way to antagonize him. 

"I'm your father, Vedan! I brought you into this world and I have a right to dictate everything that you do and when you do it. You didn't listen to me the first time. Look where that got you! You're moping when you should be thriving. I'm kind enough to give you another shot and this is how you talk to me?! I would have kicked you out if you weren't my son because such weakness is absolutely pathetic to witness!"

He let out a mirthless chuckle. "Too late for that, no?"

His father took a step forward, stopping short when his grandmother stepped in. Vedan wanted to see what he would have done if she hadn't. His father had never laid a hand on him, but seeing his rage now, he wouldn't be too surprised if he chose to break his streak. 

"You ungrateful brat! After everything that I've done, this is how you repay me? The least you can do is take over the responsibilities that are meant for you, but no! King Vedan does what he wants because he still hasn't come out of dreamland. Snap out of it or you will lose everything that you have left! I mean it, Vedan. Return home."

Right, because he would love to put up with Veer's endless taunts, his mother's subtle jests and his father's existence. Honestly? That sounded like a nightmare that he would never wake up from. 

"I'll be back in a week."

"That's what you told me last time. Get up! You're coming with me." 

His grandmother intervened. "Gaurav—"

"Ma, I wasn't talking to you." he asserted, his narrowed eyes shifting back to drill holes on the side of Vedan's head. One of these days, his father was literally going to do it. "He has responsibilities. Moping isn't going to get him anywhere. It has been months since he healed."