Chapter 4-What the Hell?!

I couldn't see a thing, my eyes were squeezed shut, my eyelids heavy. I could hear voices, vaguely, but they sounded far away, like I was listening to them on an old audio recording. I tried to flex my fingers, but they too, were heavy. A chill spread through my body, from my heart out to my fingertips. Suddenly, my fingers felt lighter, and my head more fixed. I could hear the voices clearly now, they were talking about someone, someone called Katia.

If I focused, I could hear mumbles, and then it was all erased as I felt fire cascade down to my toes, from my heart. Then they returned. I could hear screaming, and shushing, I wished whoever it was would shut up, Katia or whatever her name was. I felt cool fingers run over my hand, exactly as a human's hand should feel to a werewolf-cold. Then I felt another hand, a warmer hand, circling mine.

And then I realised that it was me screaming.

I held my breath for a moment, the fire leaving my body, and giving me better control. I twitched my fingertips, and felt the warm hand squeeze mine. Slowly, painfully slowly, I pulled my eyelids open, and looked directly into a concerned pair of brown eyes. Alice. She stared at me, before smiling, and calling over someone.

The man checked various machines that I was hooked up to, muttering under his breath all the while. Well really, what d'you expect if you take a werewolf into a hospital? The idea is ludicrous! Finally, Alice told me I could sit up, and I did so with no haste. I sighed and stood up, looking properly around the room.

It was your average hospital cubical. There was a blue curtain at the foot of the bed that was pulled across, and two either side. A couple of machines, heart monitors I suppose, were positioned around the room, and two people sat by my bedside, a nurse putting away tape in the corner.

"Hey Katia, " Alice said quietly, handing me a pile of clothes.

Alex rolled his eyes at her, and stood up to give me some privacy. He mouthed something to her, but I didn't know what. My back muscles ached, and after I changed, I knew I would have plenty of questions. I pulled on the jeans and a casual t-shirt and jumper. I pulled back the curtain, and saw Alice and Alex having an intent discussion.

"What the hell happened Katia? I thought I'd shot you or something!" Alex said, watching me closely.

I frowned, thinking back.

"I'm pretty sure my heart stopped. God knows why, so don't ask," I said, recalling my body's assessment of the situation earlier.

"C'mon, let's go home or something. You hungry Katia?" Alice asked.

I nodded immediately, noticing that it was darkening outside. What the hell? How long had I been out?!

"How long have I been out Alice?" I asked, motioning to the gradually darkening sky.

"It's Saturday evening Katia, nearly a day," she replied, glancing at me cautiously, as though I might throw an epileptic fit or something.

I gaped at her, but said nothing in reply, and allowed her to usher me into an unfamiliar car. Alex sat behind the wheel and sighed in contempt, humming faintly as his hands touched the leather steering wheel. This must be Alex's car. I guessed he loved cars. If memory served, this was a nice silver Jaguar XF, it was certainly pretty comfortable and luxurious inside. I was gaining a soft spot for this car, as it slid silently through Trinken, sliding past the slow old ladies cars, and bombing down the streets at a ridiculous speed. I smiled. I like driving insanely fast too, ever since I changed.

At the thought, my mood fell, as did my face. I was endangering these humans too much. Werewolves could be unstable, I hated it. I sighed, and clicked the door open as we reached the Williams' house. Sam's car was in the driveway, as was Jake's. I had a sneaky feeling that this house was a bit of a meeting place for the couple and I voiced my thoughts to Alice. I could hear 'Ready or Not' pounding through the speakers in the house, which only seemed to confirm my suspicions. Alice laughed, as beckoned me inside, to see Sam and Jake in a shameless make-out session, house keys on the floor.