XVI. 𝙶𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝙾𝚕' 𝙷𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝙻𝚎𝚜𝚜𝚘𝚗

***

   As AJ's steps drew closer, the tension in the air thickened, wrapping around us like a suffocating blanket. I glanced up at her, feeling the weight of her gaze as she stood over me, her arms crossed in front of her chest.
   Her gaze shifted to Willow, who trembled under the weight of AJ's scrutiny. "What did you do?" AJ's voice was low, and dangerous, cutting through the silence like a sharpened blade. Willow's breath caught in her throat, her hands trembling as she raised them feebly to defend herself.

   "I only fixed his wound!" Willow blurted out, her words rushing out in a torrent of fear. "I made sure it was properly cleaned, stitched, and wrapped!" Her confession hung in the air as AJ contemplated her words.
   AJ raised a single eyebrow as she knelt beside me, her movements deliberate and controlled. She lifted my pant leg with a careful touch, her eyes scanning the bandaged wound with a critical gaze. After a moment, she emitted a low hum of approval, her gaze flickering to Willow.

   "Maybe you're not as useless as I thought," AJ remarked, her tone coated with an insult and grudging respect. Willow nodded nervously, her relief evident despite the backhanded compliment.
   I cleared my throat, preparing to try and stand, but AJ cut me off before I could. "What did I say about not lifting a finger?" Her voice held a note of warning, and I swallowed hard under her unwavering gaze.

   Willow swiftly packed away the medical supplies into AJ's saddlebag, her movements quick and efficient. With a nod to me, she joined the others as they made their way toward Shrek's voice, leaving AJ and me alone.
   I turned my attention back to AJ, who still stood before me with her arms crossed, an unreadable expression on her face. "I'm going to head over there-" I began, but before I could finish my sentence, AJ scooped me up and slung me over her shoulder in one swift motion.

   My protests fell on deaf ears as AJ remained silent, her grip firm as she carried me away.
"AJ, put me down! I can walk just fine!" I grumbled, trying to wriggle out of her grasp.
"I told you, you're not walking. You need rest," she retorted firmly, her tone brooking no argument as she carried me away.
   As AJ carried me towards a cliffside area, I heard Donkey's voice in the distance. "Shrek, we can do better than that. I don't think this is fit for a princess—" But Fiona interrupted, her voice carrying a note of urgency. "No, no, it's perfect. It just needs a few homey touches."

   Soon, we reached a secluded spot by a cave nestled into a rocky wall, where Shrek and Donkey stood waiting. Willow kept her distance from Shrek. AJ carefully set me down inside the tent she had hastily constructed, using sticks, wood, and a thick pelt that she likely secured from her saddlebags or perhaps even from a freshly killed bear.
   The makeshift shelter provided protection, though its origins were a sign of AJ's resourcefulness and survival skills. As I settled into the tent, I overheard Shrek's voice outside. "Homey touches? Like what?" He questioned, driving Fiona to take charge.  

   With a swift motion, she ripped off a large piece of bark from a nearby tree with her bare hands, creating a makeshift door.  "A door. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I bid thee good night," Fiona declared hastily as she disappeared into the mouth of the cave, fitting the bark door behind her. Donkey trotted up to the bark door with an offer.
   "You want me to come in there and read you a bedtime story? 'Cause I will-?" But Fiona's response was sharp and final. "I said good night!" she snapped, making it clear that she sought privacy for the night.

   Meanwhile, AJ stood with her hand on her hip, her gaze fixed on Shrek, who met her gaze with a sense of understanding. Without a word, he reached to move the boulder back in front of the cave entrance, sealing Fiona's makeshift room for the night
   Donkey's gasp echoed through the clearing, punctuating the tension that had settled after Fiona's abrupt exit. "Shrek, what are you doing?!" He exclaimed. Surprisingly, both Shrek and AJ chuckled in unison, their laughter cutting through the tension. Shrek, still grinning, attempted to defuse the situation.