the kings game

• EVERLEIGH •

• EVERLEIGH •

My ears ring in an aching pain as Theo and I are held in place before two large doors engraved with the royal crest. I could hear loud cheers from the other side of the door, the loud echo of an announcer, and my heart uncontrollably pounding in my chest.

I'm not sure what the announcer was saying, it all sounded like a mumble to my ears. I'd probably make it worse for myself if I heard what he was speaking of anyway.

I slowly turn my head towards Theo, swallowing my fear down my throat. I try to catch his eyes, but his face is a sick pale and his eyes are nearly frozen on the doors ahead of us.

I nudge him, knowing there was nothing I could say or do to make this situation any better.

He turns to me for a moment. Our eyes connect for barely a second before the huge doors are opened by two soldiers and both of our attentions shift.

The bright light from the sun races towards me, blacking everything out for a moment. I squint at the sudden brightness I hadn't seen in weeks, something I'd find much more enjoyable in a different setting.

I gasp when we're both pushed into the huge arena, so hard both of us can barely catch our breath as we're thrown to the dirt ground. My hands cover my fall, confused at the now silent crowd as I try to ignore the pain in my body after that fall.

I slowly look up, never in my life seeing the sight ahead of me. My eyes widen at the amount of people surrounding us, seated in the largest, and only arena I'd ever seen.

The walls were low enough for the millions of citizens in Verona to see what was going on in the arena, but too high for anyone to escape from the inside.

I slowly stand up, my head spinning as I wipe the dirt off of my hands. My gaze turns to every corner of the arena as I look out at children,women, and men watching us like we were savages.

I unconsciously move towards Theo until our shoulders are barely brushing. My eyes scan the place, horrified at how so many people could possibly enjoy watching this.

I look around for the only possible cause of this, a glare setting fire to my eyes at the sight ahead of me.

There, five chairs of the royal court lay at the front of the arena, secluded from the citizens seating. In the center, in a throne larger than any other seat sat the king, carelessly leaned back in his throne with a glass in one hand and cold eyes directly watching me.

He was dressed down in black, matching his dark eyes that seemed to stay on me for much longer than I'd expected. His hair, a mess of slightly curly black hair was adorned with a gold crown that nearly laughed at me from how much power it held compared to every person in this arena.