Chapter Five: Where is Our Hope

In the central marketplace of the town of Hidden, Malice inhaled the sweet aromas of a few baked goods on display. Golden rolls, stuffed with cinnamon and butter, were covered with a sugared honey glaze. They sat dripping and warm in their containers, tempting every passerby to eat them. She licked her lips, remembering their taste. Cinnamon Rolls were her favorite treat to steal when she was a young kitten-kid.

"I see that you never outgrew your sweet tooth," a soft voice spoke closely behind her, and she felt the fur on her arms and neck stand up. Malice felt annoyance building inside her for not noticing the approach, and that they were standing directly behind her.

"Back off," she feigned a flippant response, hoping the intruder would leave her be.

"No," they calmly but firmly replied.

"Please?" She said and spun quickly around, her dark grey robes fluttering around her. Malice stared into the eyes of a familiar Catfolk. He was a tall male with piercing green eyes, and his fur was of a calico variety. "What do YOU want, Ven?"

Ven smirked and crossed his arms while he leaned in close enough to touch his nose with Malice's. "I go by my full name, now, Mal. How could you forget?"

"Okay, Vengeance, what does your Holiness want with little ol' me?" Malice hissed, and she crossed her arms as well but maintained eye contact. She tried to show no emotion on her face, but Ven's cocky smile let her know that she was failing.

"Hand over the artifact," he demanded with a cool tone; still smiling. The palm of his hand now opened in front of her chest, expecting obedience.

"Not before you call ME by my full name," she demanded in a quiet but firm voice, hoping they hadn't attracted too much attention from anyone. Arguing with the Holy One was strongly discouraged by the Clergymen; a small elite bodyguard for the Holy One made up of the most devout disciples of Catfolk. The Clergymen were blessed with divine magic that allowed them to hide between rays of light, so almost no one alive had ever seen one. The Clergymen always left a holy sign, inscribed with the blood of their targets, as a message to everyone that they had completed the orders of the Holy One; and as a reminder of their existence.

"Malice," Ven purred, as he stroked a finger against her chest and kissed the tip of her nose. Shivers raced down Malice's skin, and she felt her stomach twist.