CONCERN

Priestess Mara granted Cody Walsh a meeting with her and the Consortium. He was sure it would be worth their time.

All seven leaders sat before him on a platform above the floor. Cody took his seat in the center with a smirk of confidence.

Each one took their sip of red wine from the goblet of solidarity and proceeded with the meeting.

"Mr. Walsh, you claim to have a good reason for this gathering."

"Yes, leader, Sonya. I do."

"You may continue."

"I'm here to speak on Caine Accardi."

He could see Mara shift in her seat while the rest of the Consortium listened.

"I've noticed that he has been a favorite here at Haldon Manor even though he is problematic and does not respect authority or protocol."

"This sounds more like a dig at our competence as leaders, Mr. Walsh." Leader Thomas leaned forward.

"I'm only speaking about my observations. But if the shoe fits...."

Leader Kwame answered. "Watch yourself, Walsh, and get to the point."

"It is my understanding that human contact is only appropriate when it's absolutely necessary. For example... research purposes, trusted allyship, or criminal judgment for injustice towards the supernatural."

"Correct."

"It appears that Mr. Accardi has a serious relationship with a human for none of those reasons."

Leader Warner smirked. "There are times one may engage in a temporary affair with a human. It's not unheard of."

"So you all are okay with this random human having knowledge of our world and existence for mere sexual pleasure?"

"How do you know it's a sexual nature?" Mara asked.

"Why else would he be at her home and leave without taking her life?"

"Caine is a vampire. Maybe she's his blood source. It would be foolish to kill her."

"He's half, but okay, let's say she is...what's the likelihood of it not turning sexual?"

He could see the dismay on Mara's face and smirked.

"Who is this woman?"

One of Cody's men handed a folder to the first leader of the Consortium. They took turns looking at the photo and information.

"That is Symone Riley. Caine Accardi has taken her as a partner."

The folder stopped at Leader Sonya. She seemed to be suspicious of the image she was seeing, and her mind took her to a distant memory.

There was a foreign woman named Chidinma who caught the eye of a man in Tolaren, a solace for vampire species. That man was the heartless King Volcien.

Their connection was instant, along with his obsession with her.

Women of different species showed their affections towards him, and jealousy couldn't be avoided, being that the king was without a queen.

They hid their love until Chidinma became pregnant. Everyone was shocked that the vampire king could father a biological child.

Suspicions grew as King Volcien became kinder and generous to his servants, outsiders, and people he reigned over. Then Chidinma's human species was revealed when her birth parents were found.

Humans were the lowest of low in the eyes of vampires and would never be accepted into the supernatural community.

The priests who served as the higher truth and judgment for the people accused Chidinma of being a witch. Humans having any access to the supernatural was forbidden.