𝘞𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘰𝘮𝘦

The coffee shop was just a short walk from school, and as Percy and William left, they found themselves strolling through the quiet streets of their neighborhood. The late afternoon sun cast long shadows, creating a sense of calm that felt almost dreamlike. Percy felt the comfortable silence between them as they walked side by side.

Percy glanced at William, who seemed lost in thought. He wanted to ask what was troubling him, but he didn't want to break the peaceful mood. Instead, he decided to keep things light.

-So, do you have any plans for the weekend? -Percy asked, trying to strike up a casual conversation.

William looked up, his expression brightening a bit. 

-Not really. I was thinking of catching up on some reading and playing some video games. What about you?

Percy shrugged. 

-Nothing much. Probably going to a movie with some friends. You could come along if you want.

William hesitated, then smiled. 

-Yeah, maybe. I'll let you know.

-You should totally come. I promise you'll have great fun, my friends will be so excited to meet you!

-Okay then... -William smiled.

They continued walking, and Percy felt a sense of relief. It was nice to talk about normal things, even if just for a little while. He could tell that William appreciated the distraction from whatever was weighing him down.

As they reached a crosswalk, Percy noticed a group of kids playing basketball in a nearby park. The sound of bouncing balls and laughter filled the air, creating a lively atmosphere. Percy turned to William.

-Hey, you ever play basketball? -Percy asked, pointing to the court.

-Yeah, but I'm not very good -William replied, chuckling. -I prefer watching from the sidelines.

-Come on, it'll be fun -Percy insisted. -Just a quick game before we head home.

William considered it for a moment, then shrugged. 

-Why not?

They jogged over to the court and joined the game. Percy felt a rush of energy as they played, and he was glad to see William loosening up, even if just for a little while. It was a welcome break from the stress and tension that had been building up throughout the day.

After the game, they sat on a bench, catching their breath. Percy could see that William was more relaxed now, the earlier nervousness fading into the background. He hoped that this moment of respite would give William the courage to talk about whatever was bothering him.

As they got up to leave, Percy felt a renewed sense of optimism. He knew that William still had a lot to deal with, but he was willing to be there for him, no matter what. This friendship was worth it, and he was determined to see it through.

-I'm gonna buy some water. You want some? -William suggested.

Percy wiped the sweat from his forehead. The basketball game had been fun, but it had also been hot and tiring. The idea of a cold bottle of water sounded perfect.

-Yeah, I'd love one, thanks, -Percy replied, watching as William walked toward the vending machine. He noticed how William's step seemed lighter, as if the brief game had helped him shake off some of the stress.

While William was at the vending machine, Percy leaned back on the bench, enjoying the cooling breeze that swept through the park. It was a good feeling, being outside, playing, and just having a normal time. It reminded him of simpler times when life wasn't so complicated, when a game of basketball was all that mattered.

William returned with two bottles of water, handing one to Percy. -Here you go -he said with a smile.

-Thanks -Percy replied, taking a long sip. The cold water felt refreshing, and it helped calm the lingering heat from the game.

They sat in silence for a few moments, watching the other kids on the basketball court. Percy could sense that William was feeling a bit more at ease, but he didn't want to push too hard. Sometimes, the best conversations happen without words, and he was willing to give William the space he needed.

After a while, Percy spoke up. 

-That was a pretty good game, -he said, trying to keep the conversation light. -You should play more often. You've got some skills.

William chuckled. 

-Thanks, but I'm more of a benchwarmer -he replied, taking a sip of water. -You should have seen me during gym class. I was always the last one picked for teams.

Percy laughed. 

-Yeah, I don't know the feeling. But it's all about having fun, right?

-Right, -William agreed, nodding. -It's good to just play without any pressure.

-But, if I had to choose, I would pick you first, William, you are a good player, I would enjoy having you on my team.

-That's nice, and I would like to have you as my team leader.

They both laughed, and it felt good. The tension of the day seemed to dissipate with the simple exchange, and Percy felt a weight lift from his shoulders. It wasn't just the game or the fresh air—it was the connection with someone he could see becoming a close friend.

As they sat there, Percy sensed that this could be the start of a real friendship. He knew that William had his struggles, and he couldn't solve them all, but he could be there to listen and offer support. Sometimes, that's all a friend needs.

Eventually, they stood up to leave, bottles of water in hand. Percy knew that the road ahead might be difficult for William, but he was willing to be there for him, no matter what. He knew that real friendships were built on moments like these—quiet, unspoken, but full of understanding and support.

As they walked back to their respective homes, Percy felt a renewed sense of purpose. He'd set out to help William because Wanda had asked him to, but now he wanted to do it because he genuinely cared about him. Percy knew that building a friendship would take time and patience, but he was ready for it. And he hoped that as they continued to get to know each other, William would find it easier to share what was weighing him down.

The evening was cool, and the sky was turning a soft shade of orange. As they parted ways, Percy gave William a wave. -Catch you later, okay? - he said, with a genuine smile.

-Yeah, later, - William replied, giving a small wave in return.

Percy watched William walk away, feeling a sense of hope for the first time in a while. He knew that he still had a lot to learn about his new friend, but he was glad to start this journey together.