Chicken Nugget Mac n Cheese & Adorableness

Chapter 9- Chicken Nugget Mac n Cheese & Adorableness

After I'm brought back into reality, I replay every detail over again in my mind. Then, I realize that the sun isn't still setting, the moon and stars have already appeared. There is no telling how much time has passed by since I opened this book.

My fingers stumble through the pages, and once again, the story is printed inside the book. My eyes skim over the words until the frightening sound of a gunshot echoes in the distance. The loud bang snatches me out of my fantasy, reminding me that it's dangerous at night.

As I make it to my feet, my hands fiercely grab the book, and I begin to run the way I came from. The feeling of wind in my face and my feet beating on the ground puts a warm smile across my face. As I remember everything that I just experienced, I can't help but release a bubbly laugh that's filled joy.

"I just traveled into a book... again!" I whisper to myself as I run faster.

I pass by another apartment complex that's near mine, and I catch a glimpse of a man passed out on the street. The sight makes my legs move faster and faster, and my breathing becomes deeper. Even though my body is growing tired, running feels delightful. There's something about the exhaustion and the adrenaline rush you get from it that's soothing.

When I make it to my doorstep, the thought of my father being in a possible rampage occurs to me. Then, my eyes latch onto the book. How could I've been so careless? The whole reason I hid the book was to keep it away from my father's destructive hands, and yet, I just leave without thinking what would happen if he saw me return home with it in my hands. I should've shoved it in my bag and took the whole bag with me instead, but now, he could be just waiting for me and I'll walk in with it in plain sight!

Without thinking, I just shoved the book under my shirt, and a big, obvious rectangular shape forms on my belly. Even though it's way too noticeable, it's my only option, so I proceed inside. When I walk inside, my dad lays on the couch--passed out. My body relaxes, knowing my precious book is safe, and I take it out from under my shirt. From the looks of it, Dad won't wake up for a good, long while, so I can take my time to eat, shower, do homework, and daydream.

After I tuck my book back in its hiding spot, I take a long, hot shower. It's not everyday I get to take a twenty minute shower with steaming hot water, so I deeply cherish it.

Once I'm done, I double check Dad, and of course, he's out like a light. Then, I heat up some chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese in the microwave, and I scurry off to my room to eat it. My fingers tear the chicken nuggets into tiny pieces and dump them into the mac n cheese. When I shove a spoonful in my mouth, my tastebuds are delighted. Never can you go wrong with mac n cheese and chicken nuggets!

When it came time for me to do homework, I have a full stomach and my shower has put me in a relaxed mood, so I find myself falling asleep while I'm working on algebra problems. Finally, I decide to leave my math homework unfinished due to my sleepiness, and my body curls up in between the blankets on my bed.

As I drift into sweet dreams, my mind runs over all the fun events that I experienced in the book today. That book has given me so much already, and yet, there's still so many more things to discover.

***

As I walk through the halls to the lunchroom, my mind is glued to the image of Chaniel Atwood. Throughout the day, no matter how hard I tried, Chaniel's gorgeous face keeps popping into my head. I guess that's what happens when you travel into a book--your daydreams distract you. I just hope that it won't affect my grades.

Suddenly, I notice that I've walked past the lunchroom. Once again, I became so lost in my thoughts that I totally missed my destination. Immediately, my body turns around and enters into the lunchroom.