Chapter 4

True to his word, Gabriel had a moving company on Cassandra's doorstep bright and early Monday morning. Still in her nightgown and robe, she reluctantly let them in.

"Where would you like for us to start, Miss Barnes?" one of the men asked.

"Um, I guess you can start with the guest room," Cassandra replied.

No sooner had they left the foyer and her cell phone rang. She removed the phone from the pocket of her robe. Checking the caller ID, she saw it was Jane. She accepted the call. "Morning."

"Good morning," Jane said. "How did it go last night?"

Cassandra shared with her what happened and then finished with, "There's a moving company here."

Jane laughed softly. "Gabriel moves fast."

"It's not funny," Cassandra sighed, running a hand through her tousled hair.

"Give him a chance," Jane encouraged her. "I think he'll be good for you."

"Sure he will," Cassandra uttered dryly.

"What have you got to lose by giving him a chance?" Jane wanted to know.

My heart. "My freedom," I responded instead.

"Gabriel won't take your freedom away," Jane said.

"You sound so sure of him."

"Let's just say I'm optimistic that everything will be fine," Jane said. "I better go. I don't want to be late for work. Talk to you later."

Cassandra ended the call just as the doorbell rang. Letting out a sigh, she stepped to the door and opened it. Gabriel stood on the step, a pink bakery box in hand. Cassandra swore silently.

"So, this is what I have to look forward to every morning," Gabriel said with a grin, eyeing her from head to toe. "What's under the robe?"

"None of your damn business," Cassandra said.

"I'll find out eventually, sweetcheeks." He held out the box. "I stopped at your favorite bakery and bought you some of your favorite pastries."

His thoughtfulness tugged at Cassandra's heartstrings. "Thank you." She took the box from him and moved aside for him to enter. "How did you know where I like to buy my pastries and what my favorite ones are?"

Gabriel winked at her as he crossed the threshold. "I have my ways. I noticed the moving company's van at the curb."

"They arrived about ten minutes ago," Cassandra said, closing the door. "You don't waste time."

Gabriel tucked a strand of hair behind Cassandra's ear and said, "Not when I want something, sweetheart."

"Don't call me that," she muttered.

"Okay, darling."

Cassandra shook her head. "Do you want a cup of coffee?"

"Please."

Cassandra led the way to the kitchen, where she poured a cup of coffee for Gabriel before pouring one for herself. She took a sip and lifted the lid on the pastry box. Selecting a cheese danish, she glanced at Gabriel. "Help yourself, please. God knows I don't need to eat all of these."

"Please don't tell me you're obsessed with your weight," Gabriel said, "because, baby, you are beautiful the way you are."

"Have you seen my ass?" Cassandra held up a hand. "Wait! Don't answer that."

Gabriel chuckled. "I happen to think you have a fine ass. I enjoy admiring it, especially when you wear your jeans."

Cassandra sighed heavily and then took a bite of her pastry. Flavor exploded on her tongue. She held back a moan. No way was she going to moan in front of Gabriel.

"Are you taking the day off from work?" Gabriel asked. "I asked because you're still in your night clothes."

"I'm on vacation for the next two weeks," Cassandra replied, once she swallowed the bite of danish. "I had vacation time saved up, so my boss suggested I take it. Business is slow right now."

At that moment, a white cat with amber eyes walked into the room. He made a beeline for his food bowl. Cassandra put down her pastry and moved to the walk in pantry.

She grabbed a can of wet food from the shelf and walked back into the kitchen to find Gabriel cradling the cat in his arms. She stopped in her tracks and gaped at him.

"Friendly cat you have," Gabriel said, scratching the feline between the ears.

"What have you done to him?" Cassandra demanded to know.

Gabriel arched an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"He hates men," Cassandra said. "Last guy I dated dumped me because the cat hissed at him whenever he came around."

"What's the cat's name?"

"Charlie, after my late grandfather," Cassandra said.

"Sorry for your loss," Gabriel said quietly. "I don't know why Charlie has taken a sudden liking to me. Maybe he senses I mean you no harm."

"Or maybe he just turned traitor," Cassandra said through narrowed eyes.

"There's that too," Gabriel said, putting down the cat.

Cassandra opened the can of food and dumped it in Charlie's bowl. The cat bumped her leg with his head and then settled down to his breakfast. She stroked his back.

"I've been invited to the opening of an art gallery tomorrow night," Gabriel told her. "I want you to go with me."

Cassandra's first thought was to say no. She held her tongue. She adored art of all forms. Why shouldn't she go and enjoy herself? "All right. What time are you picking me up?"

Looking pleasantly surprised that she agreed to go, Gabriel responded, "I'll pick you up at seven."

"That's fine." Cassandra looked at the clock on the wall. "Shouldn't you be heading for the office?"

"I can be late," Gabriel said. "I own the company. No one is going to fire me." He smirked. "Are you hinting for me to leave?"

"Yes."

"I'll go, if you kiss me goodbye," Gabriel said, his eyes shining with amusement.

"How about I smack you goodbye instead?" Cassandra suggested.

"Will you kiss it better afterwards?"

Cassandra pointed towards the front door. "Get out, Dorsey."

"I'll call you later, sweetcheeks." Gabriel headed for the door, tossing over his shoulder, "Miss me while we're apart."

Cassandra snorted. "You wish."

Gabriel laughed on his way out the door. 

A/N: Thank you all for your support. It means a lot. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Have a great weekend. :)