Cradle To Grave: Final Part

When the other half of the team arrives in Phoenix, Derek hands JJ a list he's been working on.

"JJ, I need you to call these fertility specialists and get them over here for interviews."

"Whoa," she whistles as she looks at the long list.

"Yeah, I know. Hotch wants to focus on the prenatal drugs the unsubs are giving the victims. He thinks we can build a new suspect pool, and he wants it done yesterday."

"There are two pages of names here. Shouldn't we narrow it down?"

"Just do it, JJ, okay?" She raises her eyebrows at him and he sighs guilty. "I'm sorry."

"Is everything okay?"

"Hotch has been on me ever since we got here, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why."

"I might know. The night before Hotch picked this case, Chief Strauss stopped by the BAU. They were behind closed doors, but it seemed like it got a little tense."

"I can understand. The Bureau's been on him for a while. He must have known this was gonna happen."

"Except now, they're making him justify every decision. For Hotch, that's hell. Don't worry, I'll start calling."

She goes down the list and manages to get one of them to come down to the station and talk to her and Rossi. She is more than willing to help if it means helping children from dangerous situations. JJ quickly explains the situation they're in so she's not confused when Rossi starts the questioning.

"Dr. Dekeyser, we don't think she's getting these prenatal drugs as a patient. I think she's writing the Scrips for herself."

"Then she wouldn't be very knowledgeable about what she's doing. Some of these drugs have serious side effects. There are dozens of meds I would prescribe before these, all of them more effective."

"Why would she use these ones?"

"My guess is these are the ones she had access to. Fertility drugs are a cocktail, and you keep remixing the cocktail until you get pregnant. The information is out there on the internet. She found the right one."

"So, the woman was prescribed these drugs for some other illness and figured out that they helped carry a baby to term?"

"Exactly."

"Then the real question is, what other diseases do these drugs treat?" JJ asks Rossi.

Derek walks past Rossi, JJ, and the doctor into the office Hotch has claimed his own. He has a piece of paper in his hands that Hotch knows about.

"What's this?"

"It's a tactical arrest plan. I'd like you to write it up for this case."

"You want me to write up how we apprehend these unsubs without risking the lives of the children?"

"Yes."

"Hotch, I've led dozens of tactical assault teams. You've never made me write up one of these before."

"That's because I always do it for you after each case."

"You know what? I'm sorry Strauss is coming down on you."

"This isn't about Strauss."

"Really? I disagree. Look, I understand that you're under the gun, but I gotta say it. I'm really not all that surprised. I've watched you walk away from a bunch of cops gunning down unsubs in D.C. You walked in unprotected to a hostage situation in Louisville. You're not even helping Y/N out of prison. One of our own. Of course, the Bureau's worried about you. Man, I'm worried about you, but just because you're the one who's under the magnifying glass, that doesn't mean I can't do my job."