7| A Mark for a Mark

"Thakur baba, manjle baba aur unki Bahu aa gaye hai

"Thakur baba, manjle baba aur unki Bahu aa gaye hai."

"Mr. Thakur, Dhanraj ji and his wife have arrived."

I was scanning some business papers when the servant uncle informed me about my brother's arrival. He is my younger brother who is elder to Jairaj. Ragini is his wife and now they were blessed with a daughter too. They had shifted to Chicago as he was least interested in the family business - the bloody family business to be honest, after the arrival of his wife.

His wife had changed him completely. She was the reason why an animal like him turned into a sophisticated man. They were living happily in Chicago and had come here to attend my reception party.

I asked the servant uncle to get them here and he nodded before going away.

"Bhaiya!"

"Brother!"

Dhanraj called and I stood up. I rushed towards him and he came to me with same speed. We shared a tight and warm hug, but not before he touched my feet. I saw Ragini coming inside with a small baby in her hands.

I approached her breaking the hug and she started bending down to touch my feet, but I stopped her midway.

"Sisters and daughters don't touch feet and you are both to me."

She lowered her gaze with a beautiful smile. She is extremely sweet and simple.

"Bhaiya! I can't believe you did this."

I turned towards Dhanraj, who was sitting on the couch now. I signalled Ragini to sit too and she sat silently holding the baby.

"What is the name of our daughter?" I sat on the floor on my knees before Ragini and slightly caressed the baby's cheek while asking this question.

"Mandira!" Dhanraj replied

"Answer me, bhaiya." He asked again in an irritated voice.

"Wanna play with bade papa?" I cooed to the baby.

"BHAIYA!" Dhanraj screamed and I stood up to get away from the baby before replying to him

"AWAZ NICHE!"

"KEEP YOUR VOICE LOW!"

I yelled, Ragini got a little startled by my voice. Baby Mandira started crying in her arms and she started patting her.

"You may leave Ragini. I'll visit you both later.

I said in a heavy tone and Ragini immediately left with the baby.

"Bhaiya! You can't make me quiet this time."

Dhanraj said again lowering his gaze.

"She is Niharika's sister."

I said and he looked at me with wide eyes and shocked expressions.

"What? So you are punishing her for something that her sister did."