3

_____________________x_______________________

After a grueling game against UConn, Athena's head is still spinning from the impact of the trip. She feels dizzy and disoriented, but she knows that she needs to get checked out by medical staff as soon as possible.  When she arrives at the hospital, doctors discover that Athena has suffered a concussion and must be held overnight for observation. As she lays in her bed alone, all Athena can think about is how close Duke was to winning this crucial match-up against UConn Huskies led by Paige Bueckers. Athena tries to put her feelings for Paige Bueckers aside, but she can't help thinking about the other girl in a romantic way. Despite being on rival teams, they have formed an unspoken bond over their love of basketball and desire to succeed.  Athena imagines what it would be like if they were dating instead of playing against each other every time Duke faces UConn Huskies led by Paige Bueckers. As Athena lies in her hospital bed, she is surprised to see Paige Bueckers walk into the room. The other girl looks concerned and guilty, as if something has been weighing heavily on her mind.  "I'm sorry about what happened during our game," Paige says quietly. "My teammate Nika shouldn't have tripped you like that." Athena looks up at Paige, surprised by the apology. She had never expected her rival to come visit her in the hospital, let alone apologize for what happened during their game.  "It's okay," she says softly. "I know it was an accident." As they talk, Athena can't help but notice how beautiful and kind Paige is. Athena finds herself drawn to Paige's warmth and compassion, despite the fact that they are supposed to be rivals. She feels a connection with her that she can't explain, even though it goes against everything she has been taught about sports rivalry. As they continue talking, Athena realizes that there might be something more than just basketball between them. Athena finds herself getting lost in Paige's eyes as they continue talking. She can feel her heart beating faster and butterflies fluttering in her stomach. It is clear that there is something more than just basketball between them, but neither girl knows how to express their feelings without ruining the rivalry or breaking the rules of sportsmanship. As they continue talking, Paige reaches out and takes Athena's hand. It is a small gesture, but it sends shockwaves through both girls' bodies. They look into each other's eyes for a long moment before breaking the silence with a soft smile. There are no words needed to express what they feel at that moment. Athena leans in slowly, her heart pounding with anticipation. She can feel Paige's breath on her skin as their lips draw closer together. Just before they kiss, a nurse walks into the room and interrupts them. Both girls jump back in surprise, embarrassed by what just happened. The nurse looks at them with a confused expression, clearly wondering what they were doing. "Is everything okay in here?" she asks hesitantly. Athena and Paige exchange an awkward glance before responding, "Yes, we're fine," they say in unison.  As the nurse leaves the room, both girls look away from each other and try to regain their composure. Athena can't help but feel disappointed that their moment was interrupted. She looks over at Paige and notices the other girl avoiding eye contact with her. "I should go," Paige says quietly, standing up to leave. Athena doesn't want her to go, but she knows that it would be inappropriate for them to continue whatever is happening between them while they are still rivals on opposite teams. "Wait," Athena says, grabbing Paige's arm.  She doesn't know what she is going to say or do next, but she knows that this moment between them can't end just like that. She needs to figure out a way for them to see each other again without breaking the rules of sportsmanship. Athena looks at Paige with a mix of hope and uncertainty. She knows that they can't just forget about what happened between them, but she also knows that their relationship has to remain professional until the end of the season.  "Can I have your phone number?" she asks hesitantly. "We could text each other or something." Paige hesitates for a moment before nodding. She takes out her phone and exchanges numbers with Athena, feeling both excited and nervous about the possibilities that lie ahead..."I'll text you later," she says softly, turning to leave the room.