The World's Finest

Gotham City, 7 years ago

It was bright and early in the morning, with the golden sun just starting to appear over the horizon, coloring the buildings a deep orange hue. Through this scenic view, Superman cut through, speeding towards his destination.

The Man of Steel flew over the sprawling city of Gotham, which Batman called home. Looking down as he passed over the aging city, he couldn't help but realize just how different the two 'sister' cities of Gotham and Metropolis truly were.

Metropolis was a shining beacon of the modern day, with all the advancements of a developed city, providing people with safety and comfort that allowed them to live their lives without worry.

Here in Gotham, things seemed to be the complete opposite. The city was rundown and bland, and the air itself seemed to carry a sense of despondency, crushing any hope of trying to bring this place back from where it had gotten.

No wonder Batman was such an odd person; growing up and stalking rooftops every night in a place like this was sure to have an effect on someone.

However, Superman had to admit that he had been wrong about the Bat. Initially seeing him as a callous anti-hero, someone who only did things to benefit himself and not for others, he had found out about his secret identity as Bruce Wayne, the prince of Gotham. It was clear how people weren't able to connect the dots to Bruce's alter ego; he was a completely different person compared to the carefree playboy shown during the day.

Not only that, Batman had saved his life the prior night, only adding more fuel to Superman's curiosity.

'Why would he save me?' Clark thought to himself. 'I know he doesn't trust me in the slightest, and it would only benefit him that some unknown alien with god-like powers is no longer a threat.'

With that final thought in mind, Superman touched down about a block from Wayne Manor, determined to speak with the Dark Knight himself and understand more about the man who had decided to save his life.

Ditching his alter ego, Clark walked down the street to Wayne Manor, surprising a few passersby who had never seen the journalist before. Leaping over the gate that separated him from the Manor, Clark walked up the pathway to the manor's door, ringing the doorbell.

When the door finally opened, Clark was surprised to see an older gentleman dressed in a tuxedo, giving the alien a surprised look.

"Oh, um, hello, sir," Clark greeted, slightly surprised. "I'm Clark Kent, and I was hoping to speak with Bruce for a few moments."

"Ah, Mister Kent, I hope you are feeling alright after last night's events?" the man replied as he backed away from the door, letting Clark inside the gigantic building.

The house itself seemed huge, with dozens of doors likely leading to other rooms visible from just the front entrance. An imperial staircase led to an upper level where there seemed to be even more rooms, and a large chandelier hung from above, lighting the area with a beautiful orange hue. Mosaic walls and other artwork decorated the house, with furniture and antique decorations all over the place. Vases filled with fresh flowers and intricate designs stood on tables and stands, giving the place an intense, comforting feel along with the elegance that belonged to a manor of such stature.

"Oh, yes, I'm quite alright. If you don't mind me asking, how do you know about that?" Clark asked, unsure if the man knew about his secret or not.

"Well, I am Master Bruce's butler. I take care of everything that he cannot, and in your situation, a colleague of mine and I operated on you to remove the Kryptonite bullet. The name is Alfred Pennyworth," the man replied, holding out his hand.