Chapter 10: Cognitive Cul-de-sac

The Jarl greeted the girls brightly as they entered his well-lit office, a kind smile reminiscent of their time in the childhood Domes spreading across his face

The Jarl greeted the girls brightly as they entered his well-lit office, a kind smile reminiscent of their time in the childhood Domes spreading across his face. His demeanour was open and disarming as he exclaimed:

"Ah, welcome!" The Jarl greeted them with a warm smile that seemed to belong to a more carefree time. "Please, take a seat. How can I assist you ladies this morning? I see your studies are going well!"

Metisse, taking a deep breath, stepped forward, her voice steady despite the undercurrent of anxiety.

"Sir, since we arrived, we've encountered several... unusual phenomena, I should say." She spoke carefully, outlining the disquieting changes in their surroundings without revealing that the eerie presence often seemed centred near Asher's room...

Sanaa took over, "There were moments along the garden path that were particularly disorienting... At one point, what should have been a familiar route twisted into a confusing loop. It was unsettling, trying to navigate a path I thought I knew well."

Asher cleared her throat, straightened her posture, and clasped her hands in front of her as she began, "- That's why we're requesting a more thorough investigation." Her voice carried a mix of determination and urgency. She was intent on ridding any unsettling, ridiculous, or irrational elements from their environment.

Her plea was driven by more than just a desire for normalcy; it was a crucial reprieve from the everyday struggles she faced internally. Now that was enough day-to-day hell to bear.

The Jarl nodded thoughtfully, his expression contemplative. "I see. The transition to a new environment can indeed be disorienting. Our garden is designed to encourage contemplative walking - a form of meditation, if you will."

His expression was full of concern for the girls, but he tried reassuring them, "Old structures often have their quirks. As for the path, perhaps it's just a trick of the light or an unnoticed garden redesign. These things can certainly feel strange while you're still settling in. Is there anything else worrying you?"

They wasted no time in addressing their concerns, detailing the unnatural occurrences they had experienced. He listened carefully, nodding along as they spoke. However, The Jarls' words calmed Asher's nerves, the rationality of them sinking in.

"Shadows were beginning to seem...sentient. Alive almost? However, I believe I'm being followed, most likely by a student or fan." Asher said with reasonable conviction. "And they seem to be wearing all black attire, concealed like some...masked figure."

"We must apologise for these difficulties you've faced while settling in," The Jarl said sincerely, walking around to collect a notebook from his desk. "I will ensure that any stalkers, oddities, or bullies are dealt with immediately, and contact my team as well for further investigation."

"Thank you so much, sir."

"However, I must personally apologise for any discomfort you've experienced," The Jarl went on, his tone deep and earnest. "You are all like my own children, and I understand that this new lifestyle and the architectural complexity of our environment can be quite overwhelming. This place is vast and perhaps a bit archaic compared to your previous residences in the Domes. Indeed, the lighting and the old architecture here are known to play tricks on even the most observant eyes like yourselves."