Chapter 2: The Tutor's Promise

"Ugh, I am almost 18 and I'm still in the 10th grade" Sofia's eyes fell to the ground as she let out a quiet sigh "maybe I'll have to repeat it this year too or else I'll be known as Adu boin." Sofia's shoulders slumped, her expression clouded with sadness, as she quietly absorbed the harsh reality of having to repeat 10th grade."If math didn't exist I'd be in inter 2nd year gosh why is everything so hard?"

Sofia's face lit up with a faint smile when a feline creature known as Mira came into her room. She held Mira and muttered "Y'know Mira people always say black cats give bad lucks but you're one of the few things in my life which is keeping me sane." Mira's curious eyes locked onto Sofia's, as if she sensing her owner's mood. With a soft meow, Sofias mood got much better "You're so adorable Mira."

It was time for Sofia to go to school "Gosh I hate going to school, I hate seeing Sharon so much. Just because she's slightly prettier than average she thinks she's soo much better than everyone."

During 11:30 am it was math period. The substitute teacher came in. The moment he came into the class the first thing he did was call Sofia and said "Meet me after school Sofia I have something important to discuss with you." Sofia was shocked. Everyone was looking at her with a grin in their mouth. Sharon loudly said "Oh no someone looks like they're in trouble." And laughed. Sofia thought "What did I even do? What is wrong with this new substitute teacher. I only slept because I was tired. What is wrong with Sharon? Does she even know what happens in my life?" Sofia's mind swirled with a multitude of thoughts, each one clamoring for attention amidst the chaos of her emotions.

"Now now class be quiet. No one is in trouble I just want to have a little chat with Sofia." "Sure, Mr. Substitute teacher~" said Sharon. " Call me Mr. Sebastian Sharon , now no more small chitchats let's continue with yesterdays lesson."

After class Sofia met up with Jack in the Teacher's room. Only she and Jack were there,

"Look Mr. Substitute teacher I told you I have many jobs to help with my family. Not everyone is born with a golden spoon. infact I have one job in am half an hour just let me go or else I'll become homeless." Sofia's voice quivered with desperation as she pleaded with the substitute teacher.

Mr. Sebastian looked very surprised at her words. He understood her situation and said "Look Sofia I didn't call you for that situation. I looked at your results your potential is insane but math is holding you back greatly, I think you need proper guidance and I'm willing to help you."

Sofia stood before the substitute teacher, her face was full of overwhelming emotions. With a heavy heart and a mind clouded by uncertainty, she found herself at a loss for words,
"How so? how will you help me."
"I want to tutor you after school."
"Mr. Substitute teacher do I look like I have that kind of dough to hire a math tutor? I also have a job after school."
"Sofia, I want to do it for free and I will pay you twice the money you get from your part time job, It's my promise."
"Wait you mean it?"
"Yes I do." Jack put his hand in his heart.
"Thank you so much Mr. Substitute teacher!! I am forever grateful!! "
It seemed as though Sofia was more excited about the fact that'd she'd receive money instead of education.
"You know it's Mr. Sebastian and not Mr. Substitute teacher. Why does everybody forget that?"
"Yeah sure sure Mr. Jack see you tomorrow good byee!!"
"This was the first time I saw that girl being happy. She looked quite cute didn't she?" Realizing his thought he said "No, I shouldn't think this way I am a teacher and I'm a professional."

The next day arrived and after class ended Sofia still looked very joyous "I didn't think anyone would be this excited to learn about math." Thought Jack. Completely oblivious to the fact that Sofia was joyous because she would get money from him. When Jack started to teach Sofia, she looked very clueless even on the simplest thing but Jack remained patient and taught her everything even the basics of the basics " Wow Mr. Sebastian I think I can finally understand Partial fractions a little. You're like a wizard" "haha, math is really easy when you understand it." Sofia looked at jacks face a little more properly this time and asked "Why do you look so young? How old are you?" Realizing what she had just asked she added "OH I AM SORRY I DIDN'T REALIZE, I KNOW I SHOULDN'T ASK PERSONAL THINGS." jack laughed a little and replied " I'll be turning 23 this year. " " He's so young and already has a official job, I should work hard too so that I can get a good job that pays well as soon as I graduate." Sofia thought to herself.

"This is for today, Practice these regularly and in no time you will be acing in maths" Mr. Sebastian told Sofia. "Good bye! thanks a lot Mr. Sebastian."
Their daily routine now involved spending time together, and Sofia's math skills seemed to be improving steadily. Sofia finally felt that she was gonna pass 10th grade.

After three weeks or so Sofia was at her daily barista job. Mrs. Benna the owner of the coffee shop told Sofia "Sofia, something about you has changed you seem more confident nowadays." Sofia thanked her . "I'll be going on a vacation to Italy for a few days and I have a job offer for you, Can you take care of my little boy?. He can be a little annoying at times but he's the nicest kid you'll ever meet. All the babysitters I've hired seems to dislike him for some reason. My oldest son could have taken care of him but he has alot of work. I've seen how you interact with kids, they seem to love you alot." "Thank you for the offer Mrs. Benna but I'll decline I'm a little busy nowadays" "I will pay you 10k takas a week" "Really?? I will gladly accept it. " Mrs. Benna smiled a little at Sofia's Expression. "So many good things are happening to me nowadays. I haven't felt this happy since I was a child." Sofia thought.

(A jack doodle done a while ago)