The beginning

"Come on Izuku, let's get this over with. We can have ice cream afterwards. Doesn't that sound nice?"

Father pats my shoulder. My eyes widen.

"A-any flavour?"

Father's booming laughter fills the room.

"Of course Izuku, this is a special occasion after all."

The Hero before me struggles desperately in her restraints. Tears fall down her face, her hair matted and dishevelled. The tape wrapped over her mouth stops her from being able to speak, but I can still hear a guttural sound in her throat.

"Come on Izuku, you should know what to do by now."

I step forward and place my hand against the woman's forehead. The woman stills. I can see tears gently dripping down her cheeks.

I pull.

"Hrrrrm, sloppy yet again. I thought we were past this Izuku. Your quirk has a unique finesse that my own lacks and yet you are unable to properly utilise it. I expect you to use your quirk to its fullest extent."

Father is disappointed. I bow my head and keep my eyes on the floor.

"Yes, Father. I will continue to strive towards my goals."

The woman is slumped in her chair with eyes unfocused. I make a note to pull in with a more continuous force next time, I started too slow and ended too fast. The process was too much for her and almost knocked her unconscious. Father wants me to perfect my taking and giving by the end of the year. I need to master my quirk. I have to.

Father glances down at the woman. She's struggling in her restraints now, already recovered from having her quirk ripped out. She has tenacity.

Not that it will save her.

"Izuku, why don't you try out your new quirk?"

I slot in the quirk. Raising my palm I activate it for the first time. Viridian flames pour forth from my hand as the air superheats around me. I watch the beautiful flame with amazement. The quirk lived up to its name, Emerald Flame.

"S-such a cool quirk..."

Father grips my shoulders, one on each hand. I straighten my spine and broaden my shoulders, exactly as he taught me. Father seems pleased.

"We can practise with your new quirk a little later on. Now then, let's dispose of her and have our treats, shall we?"

I raise my arm and point it at the woman. There's a brief moment where her eyes meet my own. Emerald Flame erupts from my palm and flows outward. She is incinerated in an instant. All that remains is a pile of ash, even her bones were vapourised. Father takes my hand and leads me from the room.

"Good work Izuku, you performed adequately today."

Father and I have ice cream. It tastes good. Killing people still leaves an uncomfortable feeling in my gut, but I'm getting better at it. Father says those emotions will go with time. I think he's right, it's getting easier each time, and I still have lots of time to get better at it.

I'm only seven years old after all.

Izuku POV, two years later

"Izuku, this is Eva. She is very important. I have elected to acquaint her with you earlier than I originally intended as her progress has been ahead of schedule."

There is a girl standing rigid before me, an emotionless expression on her face. She looks to be my age judging from her height, although I have never met another child apart from Tomura.