Preview: Last Chance

One second Bonnie was facing Cade and Hellfire with the help of the Bennetts who had come and passed. Then there was darkness. She assumed it didn't work. But maybe it did. She hoped it did. That would be the only way that she'd be okay finally being at peace. She should've known she wasn't so lucky.

There was darkness then in a flash, there was light. She squinted as she looked around. It was her Grams house in the background. But she was standing in the backyard. She'd rarely went there when she was living. So many plants everywhere and she was in a half circle. Her Grams wasn't there but everyone felt familiar. She'd remembered Qetsiyah and there was a darker skinned woman, Ayana. Then lastly it was someone Bonnie had never met before. "Welcome daughter," Ayana said to her. Qetsiyah rolled her eyes.

"What's going on? Is this peace?"

"No. You see Nature requires the Bennett line in order to continue," Qetsiyah began to explain, "Without us the magical world will begin to die. The magics before Bennetts were chaotic. Uncontrolled. We made a covenant with the gods a very long time ago. My family did. And we have to uphold them. So we have an opportunity for you."

"What opportunity?" she asked them.

"We gathered the power to send you back. Using the magic of Cade's death. We'll bind him to this version of your life so you won't have to face him again," Ayana said.

"Send me back where?"

"To your beginning. But we have acknowledged it wasn't only your fault for the way things turned out. So we will give you an option," Qetsiyah told her.

"Okay." she said after the dramatic pause. Qetsiyah definitely had to be a fan of theater.

"You can choose for Abigail to birth two daughters. You can choose for Sheila to birth another daughter after your mother. Or you can choose for Sheila to birth another daughter that is your mother. You get no more control than that and we will also leave your memories of this life."

"Mother," she said quickly, "I want a different mother." She'd forgiven Abigail in the end but it was a hard road getting there. "Will I still have the same father?"

"I'm afraid not," Ayana said as Bonnie's vision started to blur, "I think you'll do better. She'll love you, Bonnie. I promise." Ayana reached out for Bonnie but she'd already disappeared.

More darkness and pain this time as bonnie felt herself moving. Finally she saw air again and screamed out only to be met with a shrill cry of a baby. She went from the doctor's arms into a very sweaty young woman that was of similar complexion to her with sweet brown eyes. Then next to the woman was her Grams. "Momma, look she's so pretty," the woman said. She looked quite young. Possibly not even out of her teens.

"Yes she is," Grams said and touched Bonnie's forehead. Then right after, her mother kissed in the same place.

"She has his eyes," her mother said but it sounded sad.

"Yes she does."

"Momma, he can't help that he died. I know he wanted to be here. It's not his fault. They took him," Angst turned to anger. Bonnie should've known there would be a catch. So she'd have a mother but no father.

"We can protect her in the way we didn't protect him. I've heard enough from Evanora. Like she could do any better. We are Bennett witches. That isn't anything to scoff at," her Grams said.

"Momma, she was hurting."

"So are you."

"Yes but I have a little of him left. In her." She looked down at her and Bonnie never felt such love.

"You're still decided on the name?"

"What is wrong with Bryony?"

"Nothing, I guess. But it's definitely a mouthful. I'm just gonna call her Bonnie."