Chapter 1

TROYE

-Promise me you'll be nice. 

I smiled against my mother's arm and tightened our embrace. She smelled like roses and home. Ever since I remembered, there was this faint fragrance following her. It made me feel safe. I almost started crying when I thought I wouldn't be able to feel like that anytime soon. The thought alone made me feel thousands of spikes at the back of my throat. I can't cry, I thought to myself, not now.

-I promise,- I answered her. My voice came out a lot quieter than I wanted it to be. We stood in the middle of an Australian airport, just before the gates. People all around us were saying goodbye, hugging, kissing, promising to call as soon as we land. Was it me or was the airport a lot more depressing than usual? 

My mother pressed the last kiss to my cheek and moved away, way too soon for me. I hesitated to let go of her comforting hug but was soon caught in another, much stronger. 

-Do well, son. Remember, we're all here for you if you needed us. -Yeah, you're here. In Australia, and I'll be there, nine hours away.

-Yeah, I know. Thank you, dad,- I murmured nevertheless. They needed someone to comfort them way more than I did. Even when I was struggling to hold myself together. 

It was my sister's hug that broke me. We both burst into tears. Sage felt so fragile in my arms. Her whole body was shaking along with her quickened breath.

-Find yourself some cute London boy, will you?- She whispered, and looked at me with her sea-blue eyes. Every time I'd look in the mirror, I'd remember these eyes, identical to mine, looking at me with a broken heart. 

-Yeah, one with a tattooed chest and strong "r", so it clearly shows where I got him from,- I replied and pulled on my poker face again. Despite the horrible mood, I managed to make her smile through tears at the mental picture. 

-The plane BH333 from Perth, West Australia, to London, England, will departure on time. The attendants are asked to go through the airport check.

I looked at my parents, then at Sage who was still holding on to me. Tears started creeping in the corners of her eyes again. Without thinking much, I placed a tiny kiss on her forehead, in a desperate attempt to comfort her. My little sister and I were always taking care of each other, almost never separating. That is why she must've felt equally as terrified. It was scary for me as well, knowing I won't be five minutes away in case something happens.

-Hey, don't worry. I will be home soon, you won't even notice.- I assured her and stroke her head with my fingers in a lazy motion. 

-I already miss you,- she cried. She was losing it again.

-I know, me too,- I confessed. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face anymore. A tear fell from my cheek when I looked at them for the last time.- I really need to go through a check out now, okay? One last hug. 

She buried her face in my sweater. She left a dark mark of tears somewhere on it for sure, but I didn't care. We stood there for about a minute until mom came and convinced her to let go.With a heavy heart, I went through a checkout. 

Few minutes later and I made it to the other side unbothered. Good. I didn't know how I would act if someone tried to make me cooperate at that moment. My whole body was just moving without my interference. It felt surreal, like I was levitating in some kind of a fog. 

I looked behind me and waved my hand for the last time. Sage was crying on mother's arm. I was kind of upset none of my brothers could've made it to the airport and take care of her. Steele, my older brother, was already at his uni. Now that he and I were away, Sage and Tyde only had each other.