Introduction - The arcade

Charlie and his friends had gotten bored one summer day. They had nothing to do, and the internet was no help. “Hey wait!” One of Charlie’s friends, Jonathan, sat up. “What about that old arcade?”
“That place is abandoned. Has been for a while.” The other friend, Ted, said, rolling his eyes.
“That makes it all the more fun.”
“And dangerous.”
“Would you rather sit and do nothing?”
“... Fair enough.”
“What do you say, Charlie?”
“What?” Charlie had been zoned out the entire time.
“The arcade, idiot. Wanna go?”
“Oh! Uhm… Sure. Why not!”

“Dammit!” Jonathan shouted.
“What?” Charlie walked over.
“It’s locked and boarded off.”
“It’s an old arcade that’s been closed down.” Ted said. “Did you think it would be wide open and waiting for the public?”
“Oh fuck off.” Johnathan groaned.
“Let’s just go home!”
“Why? Are you scared, Ted?”
“I am not!”
“Guys!” Charlie shouted, causing the other two to turn. “This window was already broken! We could get in through here.”

The three had stuck together while they explored. Any game one wanted to take a closer look at, they all took a closer look at. Until Charlie spotted a game that seemed pretty well put together. A little too well put together for an abandoned place. Ted and Jonathan were focused on their own thing, so Charlie easily slipped away.

He made his way over to the machine, looking at it. “SLIMECICLE”. That was the name of the game. The machine looked untouched, undamaged, like it was brand new. “Weird..” Charlie muttered. He was taking a closer look, when he accidentally pressed one of the buttons. The screen flashed on. Charlie jumped back. An 8-bit version of the character’s face flashed on, smiling, with the text “WELCOME PLAYER” flashing under it. “Wait, it’s playable?!” Charlie stepped forward. He was about to grab the joystick, when the screen flashed and glitched. Charlie took a small step back again. The screen then turned to static. Charlie went to lean closer again, but quickly jumped back when the game character seemed to reach through the screen. His arms grabbing the side of the machine, his head poking out. Charlie turned to run, but before he could, he was grabbed.

The next thing Charlie knew, he was in what seemed to be a bright and blank void. The only things he could see? A window back to his world, and the character that dragged him in, grinning.