☁️ Chapter 4 - Behind Her Eyes ☁️

Annie's POV:

Grace and I were sitting in the Cadillac, watching the sun begin to rise.

We've been waiting all night to hear from Officer Ward and updates on Ms. Lily and Ms. Hannigan.

After a late-night trip to Rumpelmayer's and a couple hours of reading in Central Park, we both decided to head back to the state prison to fetch the two criminals.

I mean, our new two accomplices.

"Annie, darling," Grace began, slinging on her coral jacket. "Stay here. I'm going to go check in and see if Officer Ward is back."

We were parked outside the prison, alone in the lot without a car in sight.

Once my counterpart left the car, I leaned back in my seat, taking a lick of the strawberry-flavored ice cream cone I had in my hand.

(Yes, we went out for ice cream again before we got here.)

In a nutshell, Ms. Hannigan would be accompanying us on our journey to get rid of Mr. Warbucks.

I know what you're thinking.

I know Mr. Warbucks is my dad, and that Ms. Hannigan practically tortured me while I was in the orphanage.

However, I don't see them shallowly as the heroic protagonist and the villainous antagonist.

...At least, not anymore.

In my eyes, my father abandoned me twice.

My real one, who left me at the orphanage, and Mr. Warbucks, who left me for Rooster.

Eleven-year-old me would have cried if I had to undergo this experience.

Now I'm fifteen, and I can feel my throat tighten up at this very moment.

"Annie?" It was Grace, knocking on the car window. "Ms. Hannigan and Lily are here."

A few moments later, Lily almost ripped out the door, throwing herself inside and sitting down as unruly as a hoodlum on the streets. "Hello, freedom! Glad to be standing on American soil!"

"We've been on American soil, idiot." Ms. Hannigan snapped back at her, crossing her arms. "Have you been living under a rock?"

"Well, actually," Lily pointed out. "We were living under concrete ceilings, in a prison, for a while. Concrete is a rock."

Grace groaned, unlocking the door and sitting in the driver's seat. "Concrete is a mixture, Lily. Before we leave this state, we're going back to Warbucks's mansion for a brief pit stop. Trust me, it'll be worth the time."

Worth my time?

Yeah, right.

It'll be worth it when I finally throw a couple punches at my "dad's" face.