Chapter 3

As I opened my eyes, I realized it was a new day and my coworkers were coming to work. I fell asleep at my desk, my head is still spinning from the events of the past few days. It had only been two weeks since I became a detective, and already I was faced with the most difficult case of my career. I can't keep the image of my best friends' dead body out of my head. It's killing me, the initial report still doesn't show anything that could lead to it being a murder, absolutely nothing. I just have a gut feeling, and I knew her, I know she wouldn't do anything like that to herself and the people around her.

I had spent the entire day before investigating the scene, going over every inch of the lakeside, trying to find any clue that could lead me to the killer. But as much as I tried, I couldn't shake off the guilt of not being there for Belle when she needed me the most. I couldn't believe that just a little over a week before her death, we were laughing and making plans for the future.

As I walked around the precinct, I couldn't help but notice the sympathetic looks of my coworkers. They knew about Belle and felt sorry for me from the moment they heard. I approached my mentor, Detective Jones, hoping to get some advice on how to handle this difficult case.

"Hey, Jones," I said, my voice shaky with emotion.

He turned to me, concern etched on his face. "How are you holding up, kid?"

I shrugged, not wanting to show my vulnerability. "I'm just trying to figure out what happened to Belle."

"I know, it's a tough case for your first one. But you need to stay calm and focused. We'll help you in any way we can," Jones reassured me.

I smiled gratefully at him, feeling a sense of comfort wash over me.

I continued to walk around, asking for advice from other detectives and officers who had worked on similar cases. Some shared their insights, while others offered words of encouragement. Which was weird, because in my time being, each day I walked into work, all I got was annoyed stares and judging eyes. But now, it was clear that everyone was rooting for me to solve this case.

As I made my way back to my desk, my determination strengthened. I couldn't let my emotions get in the way of finding the truth. I still don't believe that Belle killed herself, the more I think about her and the few weeks before her disappearance, the more confident I feel about my belief, I refuse to believe that it was a suicide, so far. Belle deserved justice, and I would do everything in my power to bring her killer to justice.