introduction pt. 2

Third person POV

  The rush of students filled the building for the first time since summer break. Most returning from last year, they gathered in their usual friend groups to catch up.

  "Daiki, over here!" Maemi called, waving to her best friend. The shy boy ran over, hoping the bright and loud girl would quiet her yells. "Where have you been?! Why didn't you answer my calls?"

  He took a deep breath, pulling a device out of his pocket. It was beyond broken, the screen so cracked that you couldn't even see a reflection. "It was your father again, wasn't it?"

  He nodded. "If I give you fifty bucks, will you get the screen fixed?"

  "Forget the money, hand it over. I am going to get you a secret phone, I swear I can't keep worrying about you like this. It gives me pimples." Her whole body dramatically shook.

  He let out a small chuckle, thanking her while handing it over. Suddenly grabbing the girls wrist, he pulled her into the building and below the stairs.

She frowned, but silently waited for answers as this wasn't peculiar behavior for him. He took a deep breath. "Kazu transferred here."

  "Your ex? The one that-"

  "Yes, him." He cut her off.

  She grabbed his hands, making sure she would have his full attention. "Don't let anything he says get to you. You are stronger than that now."

  He forced a smile, nodding in agreement. "I just hope I don't have any classes with him."

  "Even if you do, ignore him the best you can. Treat him like a stranger even when he tries to talk to you."

  The bell rang, causing the two to share an unsure glance. "Meet me for lunch in the usual place. You'll be okay."

-

  Sitting in the back of homeroom, he felt his whole body tense as a group of chatty boys entered. Amongst the group, Kazu smiled and joked like his usual social self.

  Meeting one anothers eyes, one boy smirked while the other looked away in a hurry. Daiki looked down at his book, trying his best to zone back into it.

  "Well, what are the chances?" The voice asked.

  "Kazu, you know him?" Another jock asked as the first 'accidentally' kicked Daikis chair.

"Yeah, we used to be neighbors."

Looking up at Kazu, the boy frowned in confusion. He shook his head. "Do.. do I know you?"

A slight moment of disgust was disguised with a smile once again. Harshly slugging his shoulder, he chuckled. "Yeah man, remember? On Te road? It was like three years!"

"O-oh yeah, I remember now." The eighteen year-old stuttered with a nervous chuckle. With the teacher walking in, the students were forced to gather in their own seats as class began.

The twenty-year-old would continuously 'stretch' in his chair, sending unreadable expressions towards the younger. Daiki had his belongings collected long before the dismissal bell rang, darting out the door and down the hall.

Colliding with a hard surface, he took a moment for his sight to return before looking at his book on the floor.

"You alright?" A deep voice questioned. Cursing in his head for watching where he was going, he watched the tall man reach down for the book and return it.

"Y-yeah, I'm s-sorry." He stuttered, taking in the others sharp and attractive features.

"Hey Daiki!"

Without even turning around to check the owner of the voice, Daiki bowed and ran off, darting to his next class as quickly as possible.

-

  Taking a seat with his lunch in the school garden, Maemi frowned. "Everything okay? How did class go?"

  He sighed. "Kazu is in my homeroom. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in my last class as well."

  "Well, we share this class so everything will be fine. Take a breath and eat."

  "How was your classes?" He asked, trying to show he also cared about his best friend.

  "Pretty goo-"

  "Hey Maemi." A tall girl walked up, greeting the girl. She smiled, greeting her back. "Daiki, this is my classmate Kamiko.  Kamiko this is my childhood best friend, Daiki." She introduced.

  Kamiko respectfully bowed before averting her attention back to Maemi. "I was wondering if you wanted to exchange contact info and hang out some time soon after school?"

  "Sure! Why not?" Maemi cheered, bringing out a small piece of paper and pen. Writing down her name, number, and social media, she handed it over.

  "Cool, talk later." She winked before walking off. Looking at her best friends shocked face, she tilted her head in confusion. "What?"

  "She was totally flirting!!! So causally too!! Are you that blind?!?" He exclaimed.

  She slapped his chest, causing him to hold his chest dramatically. "Relax, she just wants to hang out."

  Rolling his eyes at the naíve girl, he took a bite of his sandwich.

--