.

Half an hour later Yoongi exited the freeway onto the pier and drove to the  parking lot at the end of a row of shops that led to the ocean. I was driving
slower, giving him time to lock the door and leave, then I parked two rows away.

  "Looks like Mint Hair is going shopping," Jisoo said. "Speaking of shopping, do you mind if I look around a bit while you do some amateur espionage? Damiano said he likes girls wearing headscarves, and I don't have a single one in my closet."

  "Just do it."

  Keeping half a block behind Yoongi, I watched him walk into a trendy clothing store and walk out fifteen minutes later with a bag. He went into another store and came out ten minutes later. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that would make me think he might be a Nephilim. After the third store, Yoongi's attention was drawn to a group of college-aged girls who were having lunch across the street. They were sitting at a table under an umbrella on the terrace of the restaurant, dressed in cut-off jeans and tops bikini parts. Yoongi pulled out his camera phone and surreptitiously snapped a few photos.

  I turned to the glass window of the coffee shop next to me to make a disgusted face and then I saw him inside sitting in a booth He was wearing light brown pants, a blue shirt and an ivory linen jacket, His wavy blond hair was now longer, pulled back into a low ponytail from behind. He was reading the newspaper.

  My dad.

  He folded the newspaper and walked towards the back of the cafe.

  I ran down the sidewalk towards the entrance to the cafe and pushed my way inside. My dad was lost in the crowd. I hurried to the back of the coffee shop, looking around frantically. The corridor paved with black and white tiles ended with the men's toilet on the left and the women's on the other. There was no other way out. Which meant my dad must be in the men's room.

  "What are you doing?" Yoongi asked me straight over his shoulder.

  I quickly turned around. "How... what... what are you doing here?"

  "That's exactly what I wanted to ask you. I know you followed me. Don't worry so much wonder. It's called a rear view mirror. Are you stalking me for a specific reason?"

  My thoughts were too busy to care what he was saying. "Come in men's room and tell me if there's a man in a blue shirt in there." Yoongi nuzzled my forehead. "Drugs? Behavioral disorder? You're acting schizophrenic."

  "Do it."

  Yoongi kicked the door open wide. I heard the doors of the cabins open and he returned in no time.

  "I saw a man in a blue shirt coming this way. There is no other way out." I looked at the door on the other side of the hall - the only other door. I entered the women's room and opened the doors of each cubicle one by one, my heart in my throat. All three cabins were empty.

  I realized I was holding my breath and let it out. Several emotions were welling up inside me, but disappointment and fear were at the top of the list. I thought I saw my dad, alive. But it turned out that it was a cruel trick of my apparition. My dad wasn't there. He was never coming back, and I needed to find a way to accept that. I curled up with my back against the wall and felt my whole body shake from crying.

😔