The End of Carter Greene

I guess my father's arrest was one of the most immense changes in my life. He was my father after all, someone that helped me through my troubles, someone who loved and cared for me.
Changes can happen. They might change you for the better or for the worse. My experience with change created a new life for me. I can easily recall the day it happened. My friends and I just said our last goodbyes, and I was seated into the backseat of my Uncle James' car. "How was your father's mission?" He had asked. I buckled in my seatbelt. "It was my best yet."
My Uncle James took me in for some time like I said, but after he found my mom was available, that family kicked me to the curb. Literally. I remember sitting on the curb of Elm Lane in Sea Light, the next town over, waiting for my mom to pick me up. She had seen me on the curb that same day, and I remember her sharp fingernails digging into my skin as she dragged me into her Porche. The backseat was small, just big enough for two people. The sunroof glared against the sun, which created a scorching environment in that small backseat. The leather was real, the car was quiet, and the person driving it was a stranger. "How was your stay?" My mom questioned. I rolled my eyes at her in that backseat. The last thing I had wanted to do was answer her. That same morning I had observed my dad's definite arrest on the news channel, the tears streaming down my face as the police officer reported to the interviewer that 'Carter Greene will forever be punished for his actions' and those tears never stopping after Autumn changed the channel to a soap opera.
"You know, if it makes you feel any better, your dad didn't deserve the arrest." my mom had broken the silence and mental fight I was having with her. "Yes he did. He commited several crimes against the law. He invaded money from other companies, he scammed famous CEO's and then robbed them of their company's wealth and he also took custody of me without permission from the court." My mom's face shifted to confusion. "But I thought you didn't want him to be placed in jail?" I rolled my eyes at the woman again. "No what I meant was, is that I wish that he was just a normal human being. You know, someone who obeys the government and doesn't try to trick the system." That was the first time I heard my mom chuckle. And then I completely ignored any others after that.

When we arrived at the Friendship House that day, I slid down in my seat just in case anyone recognized me in the same car as the infamous Dr Alvah. Though I had been lived here most of my life, I still didn't want anyone to see me. We arrived at the house. Purple, pink, green and ugly pastel colors surrounding it. The plants on the window sill were way past their time, the pretty green now brown stringy pieces of garbage. The grass growing on the sides of the house were now yellow because my own mother didn't care about the environment. She parked the car and expected me to join her as she opened the trunk to all of my belongings. I let her knock on the window a few times, just to help her realize I wasn't moving. That is until I flipped her off after she knocked for the tenth time.

After that little stirrup, I was placed in a chair in the small 80s style kitchen and living area, were the two lagoons that my mother still had following her around, camped their gross bodies on the sofa. "You know, if we are going to make this work, we have to set some ground rules." I thought she was speaking to Ricky and Joey, who were doing nothing but raid a little popcorn bucket, but when I opened my eyes from the grueling smell, her eyes were directed toward me. "How will we make it work if everything coming out of your mouth is just air?" I shot back. She rolled her eyes, and slammed her fist down. "That will be rule number 1. You will NOT talk back to me." I slam my fist down to imitate her. "Okay. Fine." I agreed. She paced the floor in front of me. "Rule number 2. You will not disrupt me while I'm working." I nodded again, this time the smug smile on my face disappeared. "Rule number 3. We shall not talk about HIM unless we actually sit down and discuss it." Behind her back I made small hand movements about her blabbing. "Rule number 4. You will not whine about the things I offer you." I grinned back at her. "I'm not a child." She glared at me. "I know things were different living with your dad. He may have let that pass by. And I know he spoiled you with many different things. I will not be doing that." I shrugged and let her continue. "Last one. Rule number 5. The most pleasing one to me. Respect everyone in this household. You might not like everybody, more so Ricky and Joey because they are horrendous housemates, but most importantly, me. I am your mother, you must treat me with respect." I nodded and placed my hand against the side of my head. "Understand yes sir." I imitated a military leader. Her eyes narrowed at me.

"This is your room." She led me upstairs to a small but cramped room with only one window and two large mirror closet doors. Ricky followed us through the door, and slammed my belongings onto the creaky wooden floor."Organize it yourself, put it wherever you want, I can see you need a break from me." And then that was it. She left the room, the door only closing a small amount, leaving me with my thoughts. I sat down on the bed in the corner of my room, and tried to empty my thoughts of all the comparisons from my mom's lifestyle to my dad's. Surely I would rather live with my dad over anything, he was more forgiving. "It's only temporary." I told myself that day.