Irony Of Death

"Well this is awkward." That's all he could think as he watched her. She seemed to have a connection to everyone he had been taking in the last six years. He finally got up the nerve and one day he went up to her to finally say hello. Being who he is he already knew her name; the irony of her name made it even more weird for him. He finally said hello to her, her reaction to him in was instant. Her fear of him nearly consumed her.

"Please do not be frightened." He said calmly "I am not here for you..." he stopped "well, not in the way you think." He said shyly and gave her his best non-creepy smile.

"I don't understand." She said still frightened.

"You know who I am and you understand how I know your name; Destiny." He said. Her name fell from his mouth like a tragic love story. She heard the influx in how he said her name.

"What do you want than?" She asked

"Well," He started nervously "I would like to take you out on a date, if you are willing?"

Her fear now completely gone was replaced by confusion, awkward flattery, and uncertainty. Suddenly his appearance was no longer scary or intimidating. He was now beyond attractive and as hard as she try she was unable to not be attracted to him.

"You want to date me?" She asked confused

"After watching you for these last several years I have come to admire you quit a bit." He admitted. He immediately realized how that could have sounded to her so he explained quickly so as not to scare her off. "For the past six years many people you know have come with me. And therefore I have seen you on many occasions." He saw mild pain flit across her face "I am sorry, but it was necessary. You understand right?" he said hoping he hadn't blown it with her.

Destiny nodded and smiled. How could she say no to him "I would find it very interesting to go out with you." She smiled

His smile now was that of a concrete angel, so beautiful. And without intension she fell in love with him even though she knew she shouldn't.

*****

It's been four months since he has been officially seeing Destiny, the foreign feeling inside he just recently identified; love. He loved her. She had accepted him and what he does, being a doctor herself she knew all to well how important he was. The parody of their relationship was everything short of comical. Her being an OB brought life into the world and only on the very rare occasion worked with the one she loves; Death, the one who takes the life of the dying or relieve those who suffer beyond what they can take.

One day, another like Death came for his love. The two were walking down the sidewalk by the park, Death had seen the new woman days ago just standing and watching as though she had a secret. What Death hadn't realized was his presents in Destiny's life changed her fate.

"I'll be right back, my love." He said as he left her at the bench near an ice-cream stand.

"Who..." He began but then realized "What do you want? "He asked "You can't be here for me." And as the words fell from his mouth he understood without the woman even saying a word. "No" he whispered in a near cry.

"You have extended her life far past then as should be." She said "Her time had come, many times over in fact." The woman was not angry, she was pained and sorrowful. She knew the feeling of love and the harsh sting of her job. "I need to take her. It's her time."

"You cannot have her!" Death said sharply. What he didn't realize was that Destiny had come over and had heard what was said.

"Did you know?" Destiny asked quietly.

Death hung his head and shook it "I did not."

Destiny turned to the woman "May I have the day?" is all she asked.

Death loved her even more in that moment. His love accepted her fate and was ready. "I will take her tonight as she sleeps."

The day seemed to go by so fast yet so slow. She took care of everything needed. And that night as she curled up under her blankets with Death at her side, she smiled and closed her eyes whispering...

"I am ready now,"

The End