27 ⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆ a warrior's death

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌒 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

twenty-seven

'The only reason a warrior is alive is to fight, and the only reason a warrior fights is to win.'

─── ・ 。゚⟡ 🌒 ⟡ ˚。 ・ ───

"Do you really think he is the Madhi?" One of the Fremen companions asks in Chakobsa to the group as they take turns with the coffee.

"He looks young to me. And what of the girl?"

The faintest sound of a scrape catches their attention and one quickly shushes the other. They watch the shadows of the holes of the ventilation. Small shadows pop out.

Unwelcomed visitors.

Sardaukar lower themselves from lines, silently landing on the ground. Fifty, at most.

All there is left is one singular cup.

They all breathe loudly, heading towards the entrance as one speaks. An explosion of sand causes everyone to flinch, looking back only to find half the troops dead. The Fremen have lept into battle like dervishes, six against fifty.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

A small beetle crawls onto Duncan's finger as he crouches down, amused by the little thing.

Muffled thudding catches his attention and he looks to the closed doors.

Everyone hears it, and Paul steps in front of his wife to protect her as Duncan stands in front of all of them, removing his other glove as he walks forward to check out the noise.

He turns back, with the couple watching him.

Removing his scarf, he pushes a button to open the door, seeing soldiers dead by the hands of--

"Sardaukar!"

He pushes the button again, drawing his sword.

"No!" Paul shouts as he races forward.

"Duncan!" (Y/N) yells simultaneously.

"Paul, no!" Jessica cries after her son.

"Duncan, no!"

Duncan hovers the blade over his chest, parallel to his shoulder, then across his forehead, the slightest wicked smile on his face.

His death is imminent, and he knows damn well he'll die for these two any day.

"No!" 

"Paul, no!" Jessica shouts again.

"Duncan, no!" (Y/N) cries, reaching the door just as it closes, looking for a way into the other room.

"He's locked the door," Liet murmurs, quickly moving to do her thing to get them out of danger.

"Duncan! No!" Paul shouts, his voice breaking in worry as he and his wife pound at the door with urgency.

It doesn't budge.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Duncan turns to face the oncoming Sardaukar, taking a look at their menacing forms as more approach.

They're weapons are drawn.

Duncan races forward, turning on his shield as he fights with everything he has, quickly killing one after the other and parrying as more arrive.

Inside, Liet opens a door like it's some kind of vault entrance, looking back at the couple who relentlessly pound at the door.

Dunca dodges, slashing another and standing.

A sudden shock leads him to find a longsword straight through his chest, but he quickly kills the soldier who gave him the wound.

More approach.

It's an uneven fight.

Duncan's shield cracks as he starts to kneel, one of the soldiers knocking him over the head to make the path clear.

On the other side, (Y/N) stops pounding at the door, her hands shaking and fists red as Paul slowly turns around to face his mother.

His gaze mimics that of an urge to murder out of revenge for his friend and mentor.

"He's gone," Jessica gasps.

"Duncan!" Paul shouts as he tries to open the door.

"We have to go! We have no choice!" Liet calls out, grabbing the fremkits as Sardaukar approach the door.

Duncan lies dead on the ground as a soldier shoots a laser through the door, strong enough to cut clean into the metal.

"Paul, go! Paul!" Jessica yells as the two race back, and Paul pulls (Y/N) to his chest just as the laser makes its path towards them inadvertently, his grip possessive.

The four back in shock as the laser cuts through a piece of stone, watching as the Sardaukar attempt to open the door.

From behind, it seems not even death can take the mighty.

Duncan stands like he's risen from the dead, pulling out the longsword and bellowing a roar of rage to catch the soldiers' attention as he viciously attacks and slices through more.

With the laser stopped, Liet sprints to the open door she has accessed.

"Come on. Come on, come on!"

Once the four are inside, the door closes behind them like a bank vault, a thick slap of stone.

Duncan faces off with more soldiers, fighting like a demon himself, before he finally falls from another hit to his body.

He falls, and for now, the Sardaukar have won.