08 | confrontation

September, 2018

Sitting on the front steps, I saw Oscar's red impala pull into the driveway. Cesar got out the car and plopped on the couch, leaving Oscar to take all the groceries, two more Santos getting out and going in the house.

"What took you so long to get back from the bodega?" I asked as Oscar threw me the bag of chips that I asked them to buy for me.

Oscar smirked. "Well someone decided to jump in front of a moving car." He chuckled while taking the bags inside. My brows furrowed and I turned towards Cesar.

"What does that even mean?"

"Monse is back in town." Cesar whined.

I gasped. "Does she know?"

"I'm not sure, but she was there with Jamal and Ruby." He laid on the couch, dragging his hands on his face.

"What did she say?" I kept asking.

"Well she came to the window and said that she wanted to let me know she was back, then Oscar made some remark bout how she looks like a fine ass hyna."

I snorted. "Well you know your brother, he's the gentleman in the family." Cesar scoffed.

"I'm screwed dude."

"I know." I laughed while chewing a mouthful of chips. Cesar grabbed a pillow and threw it at me but I caught it and threw it back, this time hitting Cesar in his face.

Some time passed and now the yard was occupied by Santos. I stood on the couch next to Cesar while flipping through a deck of cards.

"Ok, is this... your card?" I said as I pulled out a card and revealing it to Cesar. It was the queen of hearts.

He smiled while shaking his head. "No, I had a seven of diamonds."

I sighed while putting the card back. "I don't understand why I can't get it, I'm doing all the steps." As I said that I heard Oscar snicker. "What's so funny?"

"Nada." He said while resuming his weight lifting.

I watched from the corner of my eyes as someone madetheir way over to us. I turned my head and saw Monse walk away from Jamal.

"Hey Monse." I waved and watched as Cesar slightly widened his eyes. She stoped in front of us and looksed at both of us weirdly.

"Hi Rosario." She turned her attention to Cesar. "We need to talk."

Cesar nodded smugly. "I'm listening." Monse looked around before talking again.

"Privately."

Cesar sighed. "We can go inside." Oscar cleared his throat and I watched as Cesar froze. "But uh, if you wanna sit on my face you gotta put that mouth on pause so I can concentrate."

My eyes widened, close enough to the point where they would pop out of my sockets. Next thing I hear are the Santos all laughing and saying dumb shit. Monse was stunned. She looked at me for a second before scoffing and leaving. Once she was out of reach I leaned down and whispered to Cesar.

"Mano, estás haciendo demasiado." He gave me a look where I could tell he knew that and he felt guilty.

"Lo sé, but I have to keep her away."