Chapter 5

I go back to work in a huff, Lisa asked if it went well but I told her I didn't want to talk about it and closed myself off in my office for the rest of the day until Beat knocked on my door.
" Hey?" I say surprised.
" Hey, I was told you went to lunch then came back to work and didn't talk to anyone for 7 hours." She says and sits in the empty chair in the corner.
" Oh ...... " I say, lowering my head to my desk.
" You want to talk about?" She says a little sassy, and I smile.
I lift my head up and look at her.
" Do you have a year? " I say fixing my hair.
" No, but I got an hour," she says, looking at her invisible watch. She made me laugh, and that was the only good thing about my day.
"Hmm, where do I start ?" I say, folding my hands together and trying to remember every painful memory.
She didn't say anything, just waited for me to start.
" Well, I guess ...... it started when my mom met this random guy, " I say, looking at my desk.
" I don't remember, where probably a bar or a concert." I couldn't remember what she told me, but I remember it was so stupid.
" Umm, they were dating for a couple of months, but they lived a state apart .... so my mom thought it was a good idea to move in with them, " I say, looking at her.
" them?" She asks, confused.
" Uhh yeah, he had a son ..... named Philip, but I called him lip. " I sigh and sit up straight. She just watched me waiting for more.
" Well, the whole story was that for a couple of months, he tried to get me to date him." I close my eyes, feeling gross.
She arches a brow in confusion.
" Were they married? " she asks with a soft voice.
"No," I say, shaking my head.
" Did you date him?" She giggles a little, and it surprised me.
" Yeah ...... for 2 years, well 1 and a half until he broke up with me ... over the phone, I might add, " I say more annoyed than I realized.
" Why?"
" i got a scholarship to Paris while we were in college...... he was happy for me but didn't want me to go because we wouldn't see each other for 2 years. " I sigh and get up from my chair.
" Why do I have a feeling you're holding something from the story?" she says with a small smile.
" Because he was right." she looks at me confused.
" he broke up because he told me that I would stay in Paris and he was right .... I stayed for 4 years.......... because of my mom. " I open the door, and she grabs my other hand.
" im sorry," she says, knowingly that I don't want to drudge up old memories.
" It's okay." I laugh a little and then walk out to meet the catering staff.
------------------------------------------------------------------
As I finished my gallery signing duties, I finally went home ( with no one I might add) and ploped on the sofa.
I felt peace for about 0.5 seconds as my phone started to ring.
"Uhhhhh!" I yell back at my phone, annoyed.
" Hello?" I say answering it.
" Thank God you picked up .... I think something happened at your lunch that triggered Phillip and ..... he's drunk, " she says in an innocent tone.
" Okay?" I say, confused and annoyed.
" Well ......" The line was silent, and I rolled my eyes.
" Amanda? " I say trying to force the bitchy attitude down my throat.
" he won't stop saying your name and ..... I dont know what to do. He won't come to bed, and I had no other -"
" What's the address?" I sigh.
" Thank you so much," he says in a joyful voice.
I hang up and look at myself in my living room mirror.
Am I really going to help the two people I hate right now?

Yes, I am. Because even though I hate him, I want to see him again.