Fall of the Dark Knight

Never did he think that this would be the end. He'd been everything he ever dreamt he would be. Bruce Wayne. Batman. A father. A huband. 

Being known by many names and many hats was both a blessing and a curse. It allowed him to be a businessman to the day and the Batman in the night. It allowed him to be the protector of the city that he loved, that he had poured himself into ever since the fateful day that took away his parents. 

It becomes a cruel irony that in his last moments, the few people who had ever become close to him now surrounded him. Dick...Tim...Ian...Selina...

However, his life faded not because of a gunshot and a broken string of pearls, but because his years of justice had finally caught up to him. Sneaking up like the end of a day, turning the bright lights of day into the darkness. The same darkness that had consumed him for so many years at the start of his career.

He couldn't tell, but it seemed like they were talking to him, trying to get him to respond, but he was already too far gone to talk back to them. It would only be a matter of time before the darkness consumed him one last time.

It was clear to him that Bruce Wayne, the Batman, was finally dying. The four faces above him gave him comfort, however, each had dedicated themselves to protecting their city. Even in his abscence, he knew that they would keep Gotham safe.

He wondered how the press and the citizens would take the news of their death, Bruce and Batman. Would they dispair? Would they celebrate? Maybe they would grieve, but regardless, they would be safe. Bruce had made sure of it.

Soon, these four would learn what waited for them next in life. His chapter may be ending, but theirs...

Has only just begun.