First Meet

As Paige approached Avery and Laia, she introduced herself with a friendly smile. "Hi, I'm Paige. I play for the US U17 team."

Avery stared at her blankly, caught off guard. Laia, noticing Avery's reaction, smiled and replied in broken English, "Hi, I'm Laia."

She nudged Avery to respond, but Avery continued to stare at Paige without saying anything. Laia gently hit Avery's arm and whispered in Spanish, "Habla, idiota."

Avery snapped out of her daze and said, "I'm Avery." She paused, then added, "I have a question though. How did you know if we could speak or understand English? Because if we didn't, then you'd be fucked."

Laia hit her again, this time more firmly, and scolded her in Spanish, "No seas grosera." (Don't be rude)

Avery shrugged, responding in Spanish, "Solo estoy diciendo." (I'm just saying)

Paige, realizing the potential awkwardness, chuckled and said, "Yeah, I didn't think of that."

Avery smirked and replied, "Well, you are lucky I'm here then. What are you here for, Paige from the USA?"

Paige responded, "This is the U17 World Cup."

Avery nodded, "Yeah, I know." Laia gently nudged her, giving her a look that clearly said, "Be nice."

Paige continued, "I was wondering why you guys were here."

Avery replied with a grin, "Because it's the World Cup."

Paige looked a bit confused and clarified, "Yeah, but you are the senior team though, right?"

Avery's smile broadened, pleased that someone outside of her own teammates recognized she wasn't on the U17 team. "Exactly," she confirmed.

Paige asked, "So why is the senior team here when you have your own World Cup to prepare for?"

Avery smirked, "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Laia, sensing Avery's playful tone, nudged her and said, "solo contesta a la chica" (just answer the girl)

Ignoring Laia, Avery replied, "Sorry Bueckers, can't tell you that."

Paige's eyes widened in surprise. "You know my name?"

Avery grinned. "Yeah, why wouldn't I? You're one of the rising stars in basketball. It's hard not to know about you."

Paige laughed, a bit flustered but pleased. "Well, thanks. I didn't expect to be recognized by you."

Avery shrugged nonchalantly. "We keep an eye on the competition. Plus, you're pretty good."

Laia turned to Avery and said in Spanish, "Voy a irme. Compórtate y habla bien con ella." (I'm going to go, behave and talk nicely to her)

Avery just nodded and said, "Adiós." (Bye) Then she turned back to Paige and asked, "How did you know I wasn't on the U17 team?"

Paige shrugged. "I didn't."

Avery raised an eyebrow. "Then how did you know?"

Paige explained, "One of my teammates told me after our coaches mentioned that Spain isn't as much of a threat because you aren't on the youth teams anymore."

Avery laughed. "Are you supposed to give out your team's secrets like that?"

Paige chuckled. "I don't think that's much of a secret."

Avery grinned. "Fair enough."

Paige looked curious. "Can I ask you a question?"

Avery smiled. "Sure."