acceptance

RUHAN

I thought about this a lot but every time I ended up confused and helpless. I had no idea how to react to this news. In the heat of the moment, I just said I don't want this. That is what I meant or maybe not, I don't know. I just want my little one to be safe, healthy, and happy.

I was still on the couch after she left and locked herself in the guest room as Mom and Dad arrived. I looked at them with emotionless eyes. 

Their gaze fell on my t-shirt which was soaked in my wife's tears.

"What happened?", my mom panicked. I had no courage to tell them what I just did so I looked down.

"Ruhan your mother is asking something", my father said in a demanding voice.

"Khushi found out that she is pregnant and... and..."

"and what Ruhan", my mom said.

"and I told her I don't want this", I confessed quietly, unable to meet their eyes

My parents exchanged worried glances, their expressions a mix of concern and disappointment.

"Why would you say that Ruhan? I thought I taught you better", my mother scolded.

"Where is she?", dad asked.

I pointed towards the guest room. They ran towards it and my mom called her. Asked her to open the door. My mom called out once, but she didn't open it. She called her second time she still didnt open. Now I was worried.

As my mom called her the third time, she finally opened the door and I let out a deep sigh.

As Khushi slowly opened the door, her eyes red and puffy from crying, my heart sank further. I could see the pain and confusion written all over her face.

"Khushi, sweetheart, are you okay?" my mother asked gently, reaching out to her. I can't see her like this. It pains me to see her cry, especially when I am the reason behind her tears. So I just went to my room and started working.

After some time, my dad came into my room. I knew exactly why he was here. He took a seat at the edge of the bed placing his hand on my head.

My dad's hand on my head felt both comforting and heavy with disappointment. He sighed deeply before speaking, his voice a mix of concern and firmness.

"Ruhan, what you did was wrong," he began, his tone gentle but stern. "You can't just walk away from your responsibilities, especially when it comes to something as important as parenthood."

I kept looking down, unable to meet his eyes.

"I know it's scary," he continued, his voice softer now. "But being a parent isn't about being fearless. It's about facing those fears head-on and doing what's best for your family, even when it's hard."

I swallowed hard, the weight of his words sinking in.

Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes as I listened to him, the enormity of my actions weighing heavily on my conscience.

"We're here to help you, son," he said softly, his voice brimming with fatherly concern. "But you need to take responsibility for your actions and make things right. That's what being a man is all about."

Deep down, I knew he was right.

"You both need each other," my dad reiterated, his voice filled with earnestness. "Khushi needs your support now more than ever, and you need her. Together, you can get through this."

After saying this, he left the room. I kept thinking about the whole afternoon and evening.

Throughout the ordeal, I kept a watchful eye on my wife from the balcony window, which connected to both the living room and the guest room where she slept.