Chapter Eleven

Winter stood in front of her front door, trying to catch her breath.
Her hand was placed on her hips, and her gaze was fixed on the dark sky above her.
Her breathing slowly steadied as she took in the cool night air, the soft light of the stars providing some comfort to her weary soul at that moment.

It was late at night and the streets were deserted except for the few parked cars, providing some much-needed peace for the young college student.

As she opened the front door, the stench of beer overpowered her nostrils.
Winter could hear her father's boisterous voice and the sound of his friends, laughing and talking loudly while drinking and smoking. She frowned at the sight infront of her, not even finding the energy in herself to complain anymore. She was simply too tired. Winter knew she was the one that had to clean up the mess they made. Or no one else would.

The college student reluctantly made her way upstairs, undressing as quickly as possible in order to rid herself of the foul smell that clung to her.
She took a quick and steamy shower, the hot water washing away the remains of the vomit stench that surrounded her.

Wrapped in her towel, she walked back to her bedroom with the intention of closing her window blinds.

Winter's eyebrows knitted together in a frown as she saw the all too familiar black Bentley Dean owned stopped just outside her house.
Winter's eyes narrowed as she watched the car pull away  quickly, not allowing her to get a glimpse of who was driving.

"That's.. weird," the girl mumbled to herself before closing her blinds.
Must've been a coincidence.
Devin had no way of knowing where Winter lived. She hadn't told him. Winter then threw on an old oversized shirt.

The college girl lied in her bed, scrolling through the texts she had gotten from her friends. She ignored them, feeling too drained to reply.
But every time she tried falling asleep, her mind ran to that scene, replaying it over and over again. Until she couldn't handle it anymore.
Winter grunted, her eyes focused at the ceiling. She still could hear her father and his friends downstairs.

Winter got out of bed, grabbing her robe putting it on before she went downstairs. She walked to the kitchen, grabbing the bottle of tequila in the fridge. Winter pondered for a second, sighing as there was no food or normal drinks in the fridge anymore.

"That's my drink."

Winter turned around, before she rolled her eyes. "See it as payment for staying here," the college girl retorted, trying to walk around the bald headed man. 

The man grabbed her by the elbow. "Why don't you come drink with us? It'll be more fun."

Winter snatched her arm away from the man's hold.
"Sitting with a bunch of addicts and alcoholics? Yeah, I'll rather pass."

The college girl made sure to lock her bedroom door. She sat on her bed, turning on the television for some background noise. She opened the cap of the bottle, making a slight face as she sniffed the drink. It had been a while since she had drank. But, if she wanted to fall asleep, she had no choice.

Winter forced herself to drink relentlessly, seeking refuge from her thoughts. She drank until the painful memories that haunted her like relentless phantoms, were nothing but blurs. As she emptied the bottle, her thoughts were lost to the fog of intoxication. She watched the TV with a tilt of her head, belching loudly in the otherwise silent room. She gulped down the last drops, setting the empty bottle aside with a loud burp, her gaze fixed on the television screen as she attempted to lose herself in the flickering lights.

The girl closed her eyes, feeling the room spin around.
That's what she remembered, anyways.

Winter's head throbbed with pain as the morning light pierced her hazy vision. The persistent knocking on her bedroom door only heightened her discomfort. She groaned as she tried to open her eyes, her eyelids feeling heavy with the weight of a hangover. With a deep frown, the college student reluctantly pushed herself upright and slowly turned around in her bed, mumbling a curse under her breath.