Will, Do You Homo?

Will was headed to his friend Mike's house for the first DND sleepover of the year, even though it was already November. He'd simply been too scared to go back in case he was vaporized again. Will didn't even know how he'd gotten back the first time, he just remembered opening his eyes to standing as Mike hugged him with Eleven awkwardly standing by. He barely remembered what it was like when he was vaporized, he just remembered it being very dark and seeing spooky blue colors. He was glad that he was able to come back. Over time, it became obvious that Mike didn't remember no-homoing Will out of existence for a hot second. He just thought Will had had to leave the sleepover early.

Will was determined to not mess this up. He was a year older and wiser. He wasn't a seventh grader anymore. He'd be able to do it. Dustin probably wouldn't suggest kissing anyway, after what happened last time.

It was a bit later in the day than it had been a year prior, around 8 pm. Will nervously knocked on Mike's door. Mike opened it right away. "Dude, you can just come right in. C'mon. Lucas isn't here yet, but Dustin's downstairs demolishing some apple slices."

"Oh, alright," said Will, walking in and going down to the basement. To his surprise, Eleven and Max were there. "Woah, who invited the girls?" he said, chuckling.

"We want to learn how DND works," said El, smiling, "since you guys like it so much!"

"Oh, well, alright," said Will, smiling.

"So we're doing a pretty short and simple campaign today, so the girls can get acclimated to it," said Mike, sitting down and getting ready to DM.

This game took a couple of hours, ending around 10:30. Mrs. Wheeler came into the room to check on them. "Do you boys— and girls —need anything?"

"Nah, we're good," said Mike. Everyone nodded. Will was a bit sad that Lucas and Dustin hadn't broken out their dance routine, but you can't win everything.

They all brushed their teeth, then Dustin started his skin care routine, sitting atop his pink sleeping bag. After he put his face mask on, he said, "Okay, guys, kiss time!"

Will and Lucas locked eyes, terrified of what might happen this time.

El, Mike, and Max looked confused, so Dustin explained the kiss rules. There weren't many, so everyone shrugged and started with the kissing.

Everything was going fine for Will again, kissing the homies, saying it wasn't gay, saving Mike for last. He didn't want to have to kiss his best friend, have those feelings emerge again, but it would be awkward not to. When he got to Mike, though, he could feel the tips of his ears burning. Why did he have to do this again? Lucas was looking at him in terror, his eyes clearly saying, "Don't do it. it's not worth it."

Will took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and moved in, kissing Mike. It felt like time slowed down when his lips were on Mike's, he couldn't get over the feeling in his chest of overflowing love, and it wasn't just friendly love. This was full-on romantic yearning .

Will got so lost in the kiss, lost in Mike Wheeler's lips, that he stopped keeping track of the time.

Eventually, Eleven cleared her throat. "Uh, we should go to sleep, guys."

Will snapped back to reality and untangled himself from Mike. He realized he'd been caressing his friend's chest, on the verge of slipping his tongue into Mike's mouth, almost full-on making out. And it didn't seem all one sided, with the way Mike's hands were in his hair.

Mike chuckled awkwardly a bit and said, "Not gay, though, right?"

Will felt his eyes widening, tears forming in his eyes. Not this. Not this again . He couldn't lie, couldn't say he didn't feel anything during that kiss.

"Byers, I swear, if you don't confirm..." Mike seemed to be getting more and more panicked.

A sob escaped Will's lips, and he curled into the fetal position on his sleeping bag.

Mike gasped. "No, homo!" he shouted, louder than last year, pointing his accusing index finger at Will.

Will's sniveling form disappeared, almost like he was sinking into the floor.

"God, good going, Wheeler," said Lucas. "This happens every time ."

"Only twice so far," Dustin pointed out.

The girls looked as confused as Mike felt. "What are you talking about?" he cried, putting his hands on top of his head and jumping up. "I just vaporized my best friend!" He started breathing hard.

"Ohhh, so this is why I had to clear your memory last year," said El, giving Max a knowing look. "Ugh, here."

She concentrated, putting a hand to her temple, and Will reappeared. Mike became much less distressed.

"Hey, Mike?" El said, walking over and putting her hand on his shoulder. "I think we should go on a break."