Prologue

Before it found me, I could feel the comfort of the candlelight, the familiarity of this dungeon...Now, all I feel is cold-Like I'm in water that was ice a moment ago. My movements feel heavy. The weight on my shoulders won't go away as I run down the endless stone halls, hearing the echo of my own footsteps resonate with the dungeon. I know that whatever it is that has been hunting me, is close. Very close. I can't listen to my gut, but my heart is all I can listen to now.

Th-Thump

Th-Thump

Th-Thump

Even though I can't hear it's footsteps, I know better. I know that using logic will get me killed. I cannot comprehend it. Maybe it's quiet.

Thump

Thump

Thump

Maybe my heartbeat is overpowering the noise, or my footsteps.

Ba-Bump

Ba-Bump

Ba-Bump

Or maybe it isn't natural.

Ba-Boom

Ba-Boom

Ba-Boom

I don't know what I am running from, but I can not let it catch me. No matter what

Ba-Bump

Ba-Bump

Ba-Bump

No matter what, I need to make it through this.

Th-Thump

Th-Thump

Th-Thump

I make a right the first chance I get,  I must keep running. Just keep running. Don't look back. 

Thump

Thump

Thump

I close my eyes and keep running as I feel the freezing air get even colder. The weight on my shoulders seems heavier.

Meow

Then, I feel a sudden warmth, as the sound of my footsteps against the stone is replaced by birds chirping, and the scent of stone is fading. 

Now, I am welcomed to the sound of birds chirping, accompanied by the welcoming scent of the forest, and being tapped on the nose by a fluffy paw.

"Meow!!"

"Good morning to you, too, Tomo" I say as I pet the fluffy cat that has been tapping me, before letting out a sigh of relief and open my eyes. "Thank God...It was just a dream...".

Suddenly, a blinding light hits me. Despite what some of the wanderers may say, the sun rises once again... Just like yesterday. And the day before that. Honestly, it has rose for every day of my life, and I can't even begin to guess where conspiracy theorists get their information from.

But nonetheless, it has rose to make me rise with it, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't care what my excuse is to sleep in. If it even knows.

I slowly get out of the bed, trying to ignore the blinding light of the sun. I go to my bathroom to wash my face, refreshed by the cool water before I change into my camo pants and shirt that I had cleaned the day before. I grab my leather travel bag, and I take off for my kitchen.

    I whip up some pancakes, and I run outside of my cottage. I look back at the cottage minutes later, as a cute, white cat pounces on my head.

    "Good morning to you, too, Tomo." I laugh as I pick up my trusty sword, "Ready to go?" I ask, looking for the cat's approval, for them to give an agreeing "Meow!"

  I take a step toward the road, and another until I reach my destination.